𝒮𝒾𝓍: 𝒟𝒶𝓎𝒹𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂𝓈 & 𝒩𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓈𝓂𝒶𝓇𝑒𝓈

Author's Note:
Picture by @lovesdaya on Pinterest!

~ * * ˏˋ ☾ ˎˊ * * ~

Happiness is an emotion everyone strives to feel. Whether it be temporarily or for eternity. Everyone craves that satisfaction. Everyone craves bliss. Happiness stems from many things, but it's hard to feel it when you've been through trauma. When you've watched people die. When your parents pretend you don't exist. After everything that Rosalie has been through, happiness does not exist forever; it only exists momentarily.

She woke up late in the night, or was it early morning? The sun wasn't up but the moon wasn't visible. A nightmare. She'd hope that she'd sleep at least a week before these episodes started again, but it had only been just a short few days after her wonderful birthday.

She smiled.

Her birthday: the most magical day she's had in months, years even, and she attends a school full of magic.

Rosalie laid in her bed in Cragcroft. She stared at the ceiling fully awake. She wanted to sleep but her mind always rejected a peaceful slumber. She turned to one side to stare out the window. The sky looked like that early morning blue, right before the sunrise. It couldn't be no later than five-o'clock. Rosalie turned to face the ceiling again; she laid her extra pillow over her face and groaned. It was practically nighttime, she just wanted to sleep. Frustrated, she moved her pillow and turned to face the door. She was awake, might as well get an early start on her day.

Sluggishly, Rose made her way out of her bed and into the living room where she noticed a few lanterns were lit and oh? Sebastian was curled up on the couch drinking a cup of tea and reading one of Rosalie's books he had bought her on her birthday. Rosalie crept into view not wanting to scare him.

"Good morning," Rose greeted.

Sebastian peered over his book, "Oh! Good morning, darling."

He closed his book and sat up straight on the couch, making room for Rosalie to sit beside him.

"Would you like a cup of tea? I just made it, hmm," he glanced at the wooden clock on the wall above the fireplace, "probably about an hour ago now."

"Not at the moment but thank you," Rose replied as she slouched in the seat next to him. Sebastian put his arm around her.

"Seb, what are you doing up?"

"I could ask you the same thing," he chuckled. "I couldn't sleep, honestly."

"Me neither," Rose replied with a soft smile. "I didn't think anyone else would be up, so I'm sorry if I'm intruding on you."

Sebastian curled a brow in her direction.

"Rosie, you never intrude on me. You actually make everything better. So, I'm glad you're awake, but why are you awake?"

Rose stared into the fireplace for a moment. She could tell Sebastian everything but at the same time, she was too embarrassed to tell him about the recurring nightmares. What if he thinks she's weak or broken? She's always been tough; she always puts on a brave face. But something took over her.

"I had another nightmare," she finally said with a hard exhale.

"What do you mean another, darling?" he questioned as he squeezed her a little closer to him.

She paused. She never should've mentioned this had happened before. She really messed everything up now. He's going to treat her differently. He's going to coddle her and make her feel weaker than she already feels.

"I, uh..." she trailed off. With a shaky breath she finally answered, "I've had nightmares since I returned home to London."

Silence.