Part 26

"Alright

"Alright." Nicky smiled, looking at the young girl in front of herself. She leaned forward on the table in your dining room, her eyes scanning the girl, who looked uncomfortable."Before we begin, I want you to know this is the apartment of my friend, who I love very deeply and I wouldn't let just anyone live in the same place she did."

The girl nodded. "I get it."

"What was your name, again?"

"Helen." She said.

"Alright." Nicky nodded, writing the girl's name on the sheet of paper in front of her. She searched through her folder before pulling out another paper. "Here. This is the form you'll need to fill out. Tell me did you bring everything I said?" Nicky asked as she slid the paper and pen towards her.

The girl nodded. "It's all here. The schools I went to, my degree, competitions I went to, the awards I received-"

"A list of your paychecks?"

"Uh... no."

Nicky scoffed. "How else can I see if you can afford this apartment?"

"I, uh... " The girl scratched the back of her head. "My dad is the one who's buying it. I'm starting university, and this apartment is close to it, so that's why we chose it."

"Then I need to see if your dad can afford it. You have about half an hour to get me that list."

The girl scrambled to stand up as quick as she could. "Alright, I'll get it!"

"You have a big plus because you know Latin, as I see here."

"Thank you! I'll get it and I'll be back quickly." The girl rushed out of the apartment.

Meanwhile, you made your way out of the elevator and looked at the people gathered in the hallway in front of your apartment and your lips parted in shock. Some of them had a bunch of papers in hand and looked like they were... studying?

"What's going on here?" You asked, Sofia trailed behind you and she looked just as confused.

"Miss Nicky is testing our knowledge in English literature." A boy replied and your eyes widened.

"Are you all here for this apartment?"You asked and they all said yes.

You closed your eyes and tried to take a deep breath to calm yourself down, but it didn't work. You bursted into your apartment, your gaze falling on Nicky at the head of the table.

"What the hell?"

"You're here, great!" She said. "I don't think we'll find a right candidate for your apartment."

"What kind of criteria do you have?"You asked her. "You're testing people's knowledge in literature, what the hell?"

Nicky frowned. "You're my best friend. I can't let just anyone move into your apartment."