Part 29

"He's miserable, Y/N

"He's miserable, Y/N." Nicky said. "I've just visited him to check on him, since Bruce was concerned-"

You placed your phone on your nightstand as you looked at her from your bed. "Is this thing between you and Bruce becoming serious?"

"Well, we'll see." Nicky said. "We went on a couple of dates. Anyway, that's not why I called you. The point is: Tony is miserable without you."

"Yeah, you told me." You breathed out.

"Bruce said he's really concerned for him. I've just been at his place to drop off something for him to eat, since the only thing he had in the last couple of days is alcohol. He spends his days moping around the garage and trying to work on his suits. Key word: trying. He can't even hold a screwdriver properly."

"I don't think I can help you with that, Nicky."

"Yes, you can. You can hear him out and you can finally talk like adults, instead of running away from your feelings just because you've been hurt before."

"In case you forgot, we divorced. I don't have anything to do with him anymore. Besides, that's what he wanted, isn't it?"

"You're both so blind and stupid that it physically hurts me, and everybody else around you. And it turns out that I was right. Leaving everything behind to go to another continent and start a new life will change nothing. You're still not over him. It's been a year and a half and you're still not over him, but, instead, you wasted all of that time. And Tony is apparently a genius, but when it comes to you and his feelings, he's the dumbest man alive. He hasn't been a part of the team properly in months now. All of the missions they had, they had to do them without him, because he's either drinking or crying over you."

"It's not that easy, Nicky-"

"Yes!" She interrupted you. "Yes, it is literally that easy! Just sit down and listen to each other, for fuck's sake! I know he hurt you, but you'll just make this worse by pretending you don't love each other."

"I- I gotta go!" You mumbled out before ending the call and throwing your phone somewhere on the bed. Your head was about to burst from everything.

Nicky was right in one thing: being away changed nothing. It was a year and half since you left and you hoped to forget all about Tony and your feelings for him, but you couldn't forget it. No matter what you tried.

You stood up and pulled your suitcase out of the closet before opening it, a sigh leaving your mouth. "Time to go home, I guess."

You didn't want to tell anybody. Later that day, you checked out of the hotel room and made your way to the airport. The flight was exhausting and you arrived only in the early morning of the following day. You went to a hotel to take a shower and make yourself look normal. You pulled on a dress and did your hair and makeup before heading out. You didn't actually believe you would return, especially so soon after everything.

When the driver dropped you off in front of Tony's mansion, you had to take a deep breath. Nothing changed, you realized as you looked around. For a second, you panicked as you realized none of his cars were outside, but you still walked up the steps and rang the bell. The door clicked open and you looked around, confused.

"Welcome back, Ms. Y/L/N."

"Jarvis?" You asked.

"At your service." The robotic voice answered.

"Is he here?"

"Mr. Stark is downstairs, in the garage. Should I announce you?"

"Don't, please. Is he alone?"

"Alone and miserable."

You chuckled as you walked down the stairs. The glass doors allowed you to see inside without coming into the garage. Tony was sat behind his computers, looking at something. You typed in the code before the door opened and you walked in. As soon as you did, you realized Tony's music was blasting at full volume.

"Jarvis." You spoke.

"On it." The music was turned off in an instant and you could see Tony looking confused.

"Jarvis? What the hell-"

You cleared your throat, gaining Tony's attention.

He ran his hand over his face."I'm hallucinating again."

You approached the table, your eyebrow raised at him. "What makes you think that?"

"Oh, if I didn't know better, I would say this one seems real. She's talking and all."

"Sir, you're not hallucinating."Jarvis said, making Tony look at the ceiling, then at you before his eyes widened in realization. He stood up from his chair, quickly crossing the remaining distance to finally be close to you. He stood in front of you, frozen in spot.

"Well?" You asked as he raised his hand and cupped your cheek as his eyes filled with tears.

"Y/N?"

"You didn't forget about me, did you?"

"You're real." He whispered out as a tear slid down his cheek, making your eyes fill up with tears as well.

"I sure hope so." You replied before your breath was knocked out of your lungs as he pulled you into a hug. His arms wrapped around your body and he hid his face in your neck as he breathed out. "Tony." You placed your hand on his shoulder, your heart breaking all over again at the sight of him. "Tony."

He parted from you and met your gaze, his hands still placed on your waist.

"You should go and take a shower."You told him. "I'll clean up around here while you're in the shower."

"You-" He wiped his tears away, clearing his throat. "You won't leave again, will you?"

"No, I won't." You told him, removing his hands from your waist. "Go. We have to talk after you're done."