Part 39

You were sat in Tony's office the next day, your legs propped up on his desk as you scrolled through your phone. There was a knock on the door that made you look up from the phone.

"Who is it, Friday?" You asked.

"It is Mr. Rogers." The AI replied.

"Come in." You said, moving your legs off the table and adjusting your dress that had slightly ridden up. The door opened, revealing his tall figure. You straightened up in the chair, your gaze following him as he walked inside, a smile on his face as he walked up to you. "Cap. Can I help you?"

"I've been looking for you." He said.

"Well, you found me." You smiled at him. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Uh... Sofia is your friend, right?"

"She is." You nodded, noticing he was still standing. "Why don't you take a seat?"

"Thank you, I'm good." He replied, walking towards you again, this time coming to stand in front of you. You pushed the chair back from the table to look at him properly. "She... uh... well, she confessed her feelings for me a few days ago."

"I know." You said. "And you rejected her." He nodded, making you sigh."What's the problem, then?"

"Well, what I didn't tell her is that there is another person who I have feelings for. And it's not her."

Your eyebrows furrowed. "I think Nat told me about that. Peggy, right?"

Steve took a deep breath. "No, not anymore."

"Oh. It's someone else, then. Do you want to talk about it?"

"I've been trying to gather up my courage and finally get this off my chest." Steve said, meeting your gaze."I don't even know how to tell you this. I feel selfish. But, I know I have to tell you this."He took a deep breath before nodding his head and looking at you. "It's you, Y/N. I realized I have feelings for you even before you left, and now when you came back you just reminded me of how much I actually like you. I know this is wrong of me, but I need to tell you how Tony isn't the right choice for you-"

You held your hand up, interrupting him while you stood up. Your heart literally dropped to your stomach at his confession and you felt like the whole room was spinning, the blurry colors making you sick. "Hold on. What are you even saying? That you would be a better choice for me?"

"Yes."

"Is this some kind of a sick joke?" You asked. "Tony is your friend. What's wrong with you?"

"I know, and that's exactly why I feel bad, but I can't help my feelings. Please try to understand me, Y/N."

"No, I can't understand you, Steve. Please move out of my way. I can't listen to this anymore."

"No, wait, please." He grabbed your wrist, pulling you back. "You can't just leave."

He was quick to trap you in between his body and the table, placing his hands on your cheeks before his lips were placed on top of yours. Your eyes widened when you realized what was happening. He kissed you, expecting you to kiss back, but you froze in place.

The door to the office opened just as you pushed Steve away. But, it was too late. Tony had already seen what was happening. He stared between you and Steve in disbelief and disappointment, which you could see even from the place where you were standing.

"Tony... " You began, gulping. "It's not what it looks like, I swear-"

"Save it." He said. "I don't want to see you ever again, Y/N."

He left the office, slamming the door closed behind him, while you simply stood there, unable to do anything. You turned towards Steve with tears in your eyes.

"Y/N, I-"

He was cut off when you slapped him hard, making his head turn from the intensity. "Don't ever speak to me again."

You hurried after Tony, seeing he was about to get into the elevator. "Tony, wait."

"What do you want?"

You could feel your whole body was shaking, the tone he was using making it even worse. You reached to take his hand in yours, but he pulled it out of your hold. "It's not what it looks like, Tony."

"Really?" He turned towards you now and you could see the tears in his eyes. "Because it looked like you were kissing Steve."

"No, he kissed me!"

"Like that would change something. Tell me, how long has this been going on?" He asked. "I've been waiting for you to come back all this time, I was going through literal hell here, and this whole time you've had eyes for Steve, didn't you?"

"Tony, it's not like that, I swear." You wiped off tears that escaped your eyes. "He kissed me, I didn't know-"

"You didn't know I was gonna walk in, right? What would've happened if I didn't walk in, Y/N?"

"Nothing!" You yelled, interrupting him. "Just listen to me for a minute!"

"I don't need to listen to a fucking cheating, manipulative liar like you. That was your plan all along, wasn't it? Congrats then. You did it. I hope you'll be happy with Cap. Don't bother coming back home. I'll have someone bring you your stuff. Just leave. That's what you're the best at. You shouldn't have bothered coming back the first time you left, either." He walked away without letting you say anything more. The room was spinning and you felt like throwing up.

This couldn't be real.