Chapter Sixty-Four

*Mikhail's POV*
We left Killian in the car. Nikolai had already put a magic barrier around it so he can't get out. Cassie's chair is impossibly close to mine but I don't mind. I can only imagine her fear being in public. I lean forward and over to her ear.
"Do you want to sit in the car? Or we can just head straight home," I whisper to her as the others are busy in their own conversations.
"No... it's okay," She smiles.

She stands up and pushes me back. I lean against the back of the chair and she sits on my lap. She continues to eat her food and I smile. I'm happy she's still comfortable around me. Once Jace and Nikolai finish, we get in the cars and leave. Cassie falls asleep. We don't fly home, just drive.

They've been switching drivers. Thankfully they haven't made me switch yet but I think they might for the last leg of the trip. I end up falling asleep as well.

"Miky..." I hear a soft pleading whisper.
I slowly open my eyes, "Hm?"
"We're at our last rest stop. Will you come with me to stretch our legs? I also kinda have to go to the bathroom..."
I chuckle, "Of course printsessa. Let's go."
I look at the other car and Jason is guarding it. He smiles and nods at us as we head in. Cassie holds my hand the entire time. She gently tugs on it so I glance down at her.

"Will you um... um... come into the family one with me?" She asks shyly, blushing furiously.
"Don't be shy to ask that. Of course I will," I reassure her as we go in. I face towards the door, away from her. Once she's done we head back to the cars. The guys are all standing around stretching. I rest my hand on the small of her back.
"Can you wait in the car for a second?" I ask leaning down to whisper in her ear.

She nods. I open the door and help her in before closing it again. I head over to the circle and clap my hands. I go to the farther side so I can face Cassie. She smiles and watches me the entire time.
"So which car do you guys want me to drive?" I ask as I stretch.
"Neither," They all say in sync.
"What? You've all driven, I can at least drive the rest of the way home."

"You need to be there for your girl," Magnus scolds.
"I'm sure she'll be fine with it. She can sit up front with me."
"No fucking way dude," Jace glares at me.
"Let me ask her."
I walk back over to the car and open the door. I lean down and give her a quick kiss.

"If I drove this car the rest of the way home, you'd be okay with that, right?" I smile.
Her eyes flick between mine, "S-Sure."
I cup her face and give her a lingering kiss, "I knew you'd be okay with it."
I close the door and head back to the group, "She said she's fine with it."

They all look between each other hesitantly. They slowly agree and we split up. Jace comes with me while the other three go to the other car. Jace opens the passenger door and sticks his head in, looking back at Cass.
He purses his lips, "Are you sure you're okay with him driving? Me or one of the other guys can do it too."

"I-It's okay," She grins.
She grabs my hoodie and holds it close to her chest. She's holding it so tight her knuckles turn white.
"Do you want to sit up front?"
"No, I'm okay."
Jace hesitates before climbing in the front seat.

*Cassie's POV*
I stare out the window, holding the hoodie to my chest.

I need to be strong. I've already been so clingy. But... he's so far and I can't touch him. What if something happens and I get taken again? What if we're in an accident and we get separated? His hoodie's not enough! Oh no... what if... what if... oh gods, I can't breathe. My vision keeps going blurry. My chest is tight. Is this a panic attack? I can't speak. I can't move. I need Miky. What if Killian gets in here? What if he rapes me again? What if...

I sit there as still as a statue... and then I start hyperventilating. Miky looks at me in the rear view mirror but I can't do anything. Jace is gently shaking me. I feel the car being pulled over. I barely register car doors being slammed. Someone's shaking me again. Screaming. There's a lot of screaming. Suddenly everything sounds clear.

"Miky!" I call, gasping for air.
Immediately arms wrap around me and pulls me onto their lap. I wrap my arms around their neck, burying my face into the crook and taking a deep breath. Their smell immediately calms me.

"It's okay, printsessa, I'm right here," Miky rubs my back, soothingly, "It was just a panic attack. Gods, I'm so sorry. I read your thoughts too late. You weren't responding so I went into your head and read your thoughts. You are strong, but you do not have to tell me you're fine. Gods, I'm so sorry. I've never had my mate taken from me and then raped. I don't know how to handle this. Tell me what to do, please. Do you need space? Do you need me with you 24/7? Do you need me touching you 24/7? Would you rather not see me? Gods, I'm so sorry printsessa."

I lift my head and notice we're driving again. I look back at him and smile. I kiss him and his tongue immediately pushes into my mouth. I fight for dominance and win. I moan and finally pull away.
I grin, "Loser."

He puts a hand over his heart, "Oh how you wound me, my love!"
I giggle, resting my forehead on his chest until I calm down. I finally do and look back up at him,
"I don't need space. I can't live with space. I need you and I need you touching me 24/7. I don't know how long this will last. I've never had this happen to me. All I know is, that whenever you're touching me, I don't feel dirty. I feel wanted. I feel like you need me to breathe-"

"He does. I'm not kidding. The entire time we were looking for you, he had one AirPod in and you wanna know what it was playing? It repeatedly said 'inhale... exhale... inhale... exhale.' And I don't know how he fucking did it, but it sounded just like you're voice. Oh! Dude that's not even the best part. At the end of it, he would giggle because you giggled. Or your voice. And then he'd just repeat it," Jace cuts in, laughing his head off.

I laugh with him.
Mikhail growls, "Call my mate 'dude' again. I fucking dare you."
Jace slowly calms down, "Alright alright, I'm sorry. That won't happen again."
I smile, "As I was saying, I feel like you need me to breathe. It makes me forget his touch."
Miky sighs of relief, "Thank gods. I thought you'd want me to stay away."

"Will I be too clingy for you?"
"What? Fuck no. You probably won't be clingy enough," He smirks.
I giggle and lay my head on his shoulder, wanting to sleep again. I have never felt safety like his. It doesn't normally put me to sleep so fast, but I think everything that's happened these past few days, I want nothing more than just sleep until I'm recovered.