CHAPTER 23

Finn needed fresh air, and being here, on the balcony of the restaurant, looking at the roses and trees in the garden, was finally helping him relax. The moonlight was bright above his head, like a streetlight, the white light bathed him and reminded him of those nights when he slept on the beach alone when he had nowhere to go and didn't want to be home with his family. The crickets were chirping loudly, the warm wind was almost like being back in Hawaii, in a broken family, just as broken as his chosen family was now.

And to make matters worse, the 'talent' bar was too high for them now, and Zeth wanted to press the limits and surpass it.

Monster Mash had become synonymous with powerful voices, 'shouty reggaeton' as the Mashers called their music, and complex dance routines. But this?

Okay, the lyrics of the songs should have been more about monsters because that was the band's theme and, although the vast majority were lyrics that talked about everything except monsters, all Mashers loved them. So that change that Zeth wanted to make was logical. More monsters in the lyrics, checked.

Zeth also said that they had to speed up the music recording process, since the previous album took too long to be completed single by single. Finn also agreed, and even all the band members gave money to buy a mobile studio and the fourth album was recorded during the world tour in less than a month. It was tiring, and Finn's throat already hurt at times, but he accepted the challenge. Record songs faster, checked.

And Zeth also wanted Finn to sing more than before so... Checked.

When they recorded their first album, Just For Freaks, Finn was happy to finally fulfil his dream of being a singer.

When they recorded the second album, Wild and Dirty, Finn was a little worried because he was practically invisible.

When they recorded the third album, (SE)X Rated, Finn was depressed like never before, but during the re-recording to add Kevin's parts, although expensive, it was worth it, as Finn dared to raise his voice and sang better than the first time, even adding some high notes here and there.

The fourth album was the best experience for Finn, as he finally discovered his full potential and sang a lot of the high notes of the final choruses and bridges, and boy was it a surprise! He never knew what he was capable of.

But now Zeth wanted an album that was too shouty, and too risky, and Finn would be a crucial part of it all. Finn would now sing the high notes that were designated for Zeth and Draco, and he must sing them with notes that only he could hit.

And the worst part of it all was not the rush that Zeth was in to record every single song, nor the real reason for the urgency, because yes, Monster Mash was on the brink of extinction and all because of the argument between Alex and Draco and partly Kevin because of a failed love confession, but because the consequences would also be difficult to face.

The worst part of it all would be the risk of not being able to sing any of that live, because it was quite a challenge, almost impossible to sing those songs, and also, It would be worse if one of the boys, namely Draco or Alex or Kevin, left the group.

If Alex left the band, Everett would most likely sing his parts live. But if Draco left? Finn would probably be the one to sing his parts, which were almost always shouty. Maybe Kevin would be the one chosen to sing Draco's parts, but only if he didn't give in to the pressure and left before the vampire or the wolf.

Kevin went from being in a band full of enemies to apparently joining another one.

But perhaps the singing was the least of Finn's worries, since the main one would be the dissolution of a perfect family in which he already felt complete.