CHAPTER 57

"The Hunter Academy had managed to track down Victoriano Rubinstein here in Hollow Woods in 2017," Evie said, her head down. “Vanessa Helsee tasked me to find and eliminate him. She was the one who made the decision to use you to find him, so in order to ensure that your grandfather would be killed, I put a bomb in your backpack.”

“So much mystery for that, huh? Well then...” Frank lit his fourth cigarette, nodding, "I understand. You were just following orders. I don't blame you for..."

“Detonating the bomb?” She shook her head. “I suspected you’d say that, but guilt haunted me upon learning that Victoriano was not in the building with you, that you met with Zeth and Draco instead of my target, and that you had survived but were in critical condition, something Vanessa told me in 2018 before I...”

“You what?” He turned sharply.

“Before I...” She made a long pause, “Before I killed her.”

Silence followed.

"Tell me the truth, Evie. Did you kill Grandpa Victoriano? Was it to put an end to the pharmaceutical company that he owned?" Frank looked her straight in the eye as he exhaled some smoke, "Is it true that there was something shady behind his corporation?"

“Vanessa was the one who killed your grandfather,” She replied and he looked at her with irrefutable distrust, "I swear that wasn't me!"

“How can I be sure it is true?" Frank asked, looking away from her as he put the cigarette to his lips.

“It is true. Days after your incident in 2017, The Hunter Academy received intelligence revealing the location of your grandfather. I was assigned to raid the Hollowstone Mansion and arrest him. Upon entering the main hall, I found Victoriano's bodyguards dead. I went into the library, finding Victoriano dead, having been murdered by Vanessa, who was expecting me.”

"And why did Vanessa kill my grandfather?" Frank asked and she bit her lip, “Talk.”

“Fine! For the record, this is what I didn't want you to know," she grumbled, "During the raid, I found a dungeon where numerous prisoners had been experimented on and left to die. Your grandfather experimented on humans to create his own monsters, his goal was to replicate the J-4D-3 project,” Evie shifted her shoulders, “At least Alicia’s Pharma fell when Vanessa alerted the authorities, but she was aware of a more dangerous project and had her sights on it, I didn’t know until I found her that night.”

"No more secrets, Evie." Frank was smoking faster now, "What kind of project?"

“During the Raid on the Hollowstone Mansion, Vanessa Helsee told me that she planned on stealing the BWA-5H serum that your grandfather had created and intended to make world leaders susceptible to suggestion with it.” Evie explained, walking in circles, "Your grandfather's murder was just a way for her to steal that serum. I opposed, and I fought her.” Evie looked down, rubbing her forearm, “Vanessa Helsee pushed me out the window and down a cliff. I was told The Hunter Academy conducted a thorough search of the area, but I was declared dead in absentia.”

"It doesn't sound like you died," Frank said, "You are pretty much alive.”

“It would have been better to die.” Evie rubbed her neck, “After I was badly injured by the fall down the cliff, I was kept alive by Vanessa, in secret. She began work with Dr Sarah Monrey and they perfected the prototype version of your grandfather’s serum. Soon, a device was attached to my neck to periodically inject me with it. Now under Vanessa Helsee's control, I became a puppet, and I couldn’t cut my strings. They gave me a robot suit, a helmet to hide my identity and the task of being Monrey's bodyguard.”