CHAPTER 86

Evie was under too much stress.

The life of a bodyguard was not easy, but it was something that made her feel like a better person, and her love for boys had changed her a lot.

She used to say that loving someone was a weakness, and now that she loved them, it made her life, and job, a lot harder.

She just feared losing them because of a miscalculation on her part.

A distraction could be fatal.

"What are you doing?" Blackfox asked, five stories above the ground, leaning against a wall with his feet on one of the Twin Gargoyles to the South.

"I'm sure Jade hasn't checked the list as I told her to," Evie said with her eyes on her phone, standing on the gargoyle to Blackfox's left, the one that had lost its right wing thousands of years ago when Zeth was still a Guardian of Evalon.

"How many people do you still need to check?" Blackfox asked, pulling his phone out of a pocket on his uniform, "I can help. I know all Hunters ever."

"Of course you do," Evie laughed a little, "Your mother sure made you memorize them all."

"You know what she was like," Blackfox sighed, "Well? How many more do you have to check?"

"I am about twenty people away from making it to the end of the list. But Roman Industries? I don't know, it seems good to me that Mrs. Artemisia Roman invited employees and their families but..."

“But?”

"Artemisia isn't on the list so far, nor is her assistant," Evie said, looking at Blackfox right in the eyes, "Finn saw her name on the picture-less guest list."

"But she and her assistant are not on our list, there is no picture of them," Blackfox nodded, "I'll check it, leave it to me."

"Roman Industries is famous, they've been giving away prosthetics to a lot of people for years, many of Frank's free guests tonight were beneficiaries." Evie frowned, "But something still doesn't add up."

“Meaning?”

"Leonardo took care of the list. Nobody has noticed but his right eye is bionic, and he was a client of Roman Industries.”

“So what?”

“I just don't trust Leonardo, something is there but I can’t connect the pieces yet. And his feline pheromones affected Jade, I’m sure about it. Jade’s voice sounded nervous, like when she likes someone."

"And this isn't an open relationship," Blackfox nodded, "Do you think Jade would fall for Goldenlion too? Does that bother you? Do you think Jade will be unfaithful to the boys?!"

"Relax. Alex has already fallen in love with Kimberly and I don't see the problem, Alex is like that, he cannot be monogamous, they can add Kim to the relationship against my will later," Evie rolled her eyes, "But Leonardo? I don't like him." Evie looked at Goldenlion in the distance looking at Jade with a finger on his chin, then at all the boys while one by one stepped out of the hotel. "Shit. The guys didn’t tell me they were done with their clothes.”

"It takes you five seconds to put on tank tops and black sweatpants," Blackfox laughed, "I think it took you longer to rappel from the suite all the way here when you said their makeover was done."

"You'd be surprised how long it takes Zeth to get dressed and perfumed, and how easily Draco and Everett get distracted, and how long it takes Alex to feel comfortable with his reflection because of his muscle dysmorphia. And I'm not even talking about how long it takes Frank to get rid of static in his clothes."