CHAPTER 34

Vanessa hugged herself right after stepping outside the hotel, checking her phone.

The guard at the door kept staring at her, judging her, analysing her.

It was unsettling.

Had this man never seen a blonde woman in a leather jacket in his life or what?!

Maybe he was suspecting something.

It had become a second nature to look over her shoulder all the time, to check that she wasn't being followed or watched. She’d grown used to it, almost comfortable with it by now.

She didn’t like the feeling of eyes watching her every move. It made her skin crawl.

She began walking toward the alley, the sound of her stilettos clicking on the concrete.

When she reached the entrance of the alleyway, she let out a small sigh.

“Perfect! I missed them!” There was no trace, no sign of anyone whatsoever.

It was completely empty

The air was a tad cooler than in the evening, and her tight black leggings didn't seem like a bad idea until now.

There were days when she endured more, when the weather meant nothing, not as much as her mission, but she had lost herself a little to live a life on the run, to escape from her past and start anew.

Until her new client found her and offered her a job.

Last year, she lied to her client that Jade was terrified when she threatened her with a toy gun, but her client became demanding again this year and requested that she threaten Jade with staying away from the boys again.

But this time, she would make sure her own plans thrived.

She only had to be seen by the right person to be able to make her master move, a risky move considering that Evie was with the enemy, but at least she was sure that she would be taken alive to where she wanted.

“I'm not going to give up. I will achieve my goal," she took a deep breath, the wind picked up and the chill against her face made her clench her teeth, but she smiled, because it reminded her she was still alive.

“Why so lonely?” A musical, raspy voice said behind her.

She rolled her eyes.

It was time to pretend again.

But this was better than nothing.

"Oh My God! Zeth Rahman?!" she turned around to face him, her hands moving up to her cheeks, “Jesus! I can’t believe it! I’m a huge fan!”

Zeth grinned at her, and she had to admit that he looked very handsome in that fringed jacket.

And he began laughing.

Why was he?

Even his laugh was elegant and charming!

Why couldn’t she stop staring at him?

Even now his face still looked like an angel’s.

"What's so funny?" Vanessa asked. Zeth tried to hide a smile behind his fist.

“No fingernail polish, no jewellery, no tattoos,” he inspected her with a finger on his chin, “Strong but slender legs, which allow for explosive power and superior flexibility...”

“I beg your pardon?” she cocked her head.

Oh no. If he had seen past her cover, then this was going to get ugly.