CHAPTER 32

The alley was silent. There was an empty garbage container and a trash can, but other than that, there wasn't anything else except for what looked to be some sort of wooden shack not far away, and then some bushes along the alley wall. The only sign that the shack was there was the graffiti on the side of it.

"You sent the new kid and the shaky one to their room, I see," Evangeline said, walking down the alley behind the hotel with her phone in hand. Everett and Finn were there, standing behind Zeth. They all looked stressed, "Blackfox has videos from all the cameras in the hotel where our blonde suspect is the star, even those from the gym when Alex was there. Our criminal genius wanted to be seen. She introduced herself as Vanessa Helsee.”

"I don't consider someone a criminal genius if they've given us a face," Zeth said, taking Evangeline's mobile phone from her hand.

“You also think she did it on purpose?" She put her hands on her hips.

“She is not alone,” Zeth replied, “But she is acting as if she were.”

"So you think more Hunters are coming to kill us?" Finn asked, looking at the phone over Zeth's shoulder, “Do you think she wants us dead?"

"If she wanted to, she would have carried a rifle during a concert like the hunter in Paris during last year’s world tour," Evangeline said.

"Draco was paranoid! He flew over city all night!” Everett said. "People thought he was gargoyle."

“That’s why I told the Animaniac to go to the suite.” Zeth replied, his eyes still on the phone, staring at the evidence from the cameras all over the hotel, “I don’t want him to get paranoid.”

"Why do you think sexy blonde want us to look at her?" Everett asked Zeth as he handed the phone back to Evie.

"Vanessa Helsee, that's not a very subtle fake name," Zeth replied, crossing his arms. "I think she was trying to give us a hint."

"Last year she mentioned that she was looking for Jade, that she was only going to scare her, but she already had her own plans in motion," Evie commented, and although she tried to hide it, Zeth heard some stress in her voice, “Blackfox also told me that the hunters at the tour shows were interested in putting you guys to sleep with darts."

“You didn’t tell us we were in danger, and who is Blackfox?" Finn cocked his head.

"It sounds like video game," Everett said.

"It doesn't matter who Blackfox is," Zeth replied, "Someone is interested in kidnapping us," Zeth made a pause, "Vanessa Helsee... Why use that alias?"

“We all know who that crazy bitch was," Evie said with a low grunt.

“Except for Jade,” Everett replied, “And me.”

"I don't know who Vanessa is either," Finn raised a hand like a child in school.

"Last year this blonde girl let you live and left without scaring Jade? She doesn't sound much like a hunter. She sounds like, if not an ally, at least not an enemy," Zeth said. Evie opened her mouth to say something but closed it again without uttering a word. They all fell silent and stared at each other. "Well? Do we know where she is?”

"She was trying to get into your suite but stopped when she saw a camera," Evie said. Zeth snorted and rolled his eyes, “This Vanessa girl just moved the handle, there was no lock-picking this time."

"That confirms my theory, she wants us to see her," Zeth put a finger on his chin, "She wants us to know where she is all the time. When we have no information, we do what King Ptahrek did," Zeth said.