CHAPTER 36

When Draco and Kevin entered the suite on Zeth's direct orders, the first thing they noticed was the sound of the shower.

It seemed like Alex had sweated a lot in the gym because he was taking too long.

"I'm extremely nervous," Draco paced back and forth, and Kevin could only watch from the L-shaped couch. "The hunters are after us again! I must fly over the city! I must find them!"

"I think it's more important that we talk to Alex," Kevin said. "You and that boy should solve your differences, talk it out like Zeth said. Everyone knows you are made for each other."

"I don't think this is the time to talk about the boy I like!" Draco exclaimed very loudly, throwing his hands up, finally stopping his pacing. "We're in danger!"

"It's always been like that, but that's what Evie is here for, right?" Kevin stood up. How could he smile under these circumstances?! "She was a hunter, she knows what they'll do next. The one who should know what to do next is you. Wouldn't you like a trouble-free future with Alex?"

"Kevin, I can barely look at him, much less see my future with him. If he wants a relationship, I will give him that, but right now..." Draco trailed off, taking deep breaths to calm himself down. "Right now I have to be able to fight. To protect you all."

"Your job is not to protect anyone. Evie will take care of that, so trust her," Kevin stepped forward, hugging his friend tightly.

This caught Draco off guard, but he quickly hugged back.

Draco never imagined a hug from Kevin would be so warm, so soft, and yet… There was also something about it that felt so different. It reminded him of his late wives' hugs; warm and loving but full of an underlying sense of sadness.

They were different, but the same as well.

It felt like a sincere hug. A comfy one.

There were tears welling up in Draco’s eyes as he buried his face in Kevin's firm pecs. He had tried to hold them back, but this huntress just made everything so much worse. The tears fell fast and hard now, as if they were trying to escape his body on their own accord.

He couldn't control the memories of all the friends, wives and children he had seen die at the hands of the Hunters.

The fear of being hunted, the fear of losing Alex, everything was boiling in Draco's chest, but Kevin's softness, his warmth, his affection, it all managed to push it down for a moment. Just for one moment.

Then it burst free with a rush of emotion he couldn't control, and he broke.

He started sobbing hard against Kevin's shirt, clutching onto him like a life line.

"Draco, I know what it's like to always feel on the brink of death, on the brink of losing someone you love," Kevin whispered, "But you won't have to fight this alone. I'll always be here for you, you understand?"

"Thanks, Kevs." Draco wiped away a tear and then pulled away. "I can’t believe I am saying this but, I am glad to have you in the band. But even though I now know why Zeth chose you to join us, you must understand that it is not easy for me to deal with all of this. Right now there are some dangerous people hunting us down."

"Yeah," Kevin nodded, "But tell me, what can you do now? Nothing! What you can do now is work on your relationship with Alex. If we are divided, we will be defeated. But together we can face anything."

"I guess I can't do anything else?" Draco frowned, "I mean... It's not like I will ask Alex out on a date, but maybe we can at least be friends again."

"I mean, maybe if you asked him right away... I think Alex would say that he wants to be your boyfriend if you ask him with an intermediary, meaning me, involved."