CHAPTER 51

Evie edged forward, swinging the blade.

She went for a jab, only to have the blonde swiftly move her body to the side.

Swipe, jab, swing. Nothing was connecting as expected, but at least Kim was walking backwards, and Evie was getting closer to the handgun. She was now inches away from it, she just had to bend over and take it.

"What's wrong, Evie? Being Sarah Monrey’s pet made you slow? Are you still the experiment of the vampire experiment?" Kimberly scoffed, moving backwards to avoid the knife, then crouching, standing quickly to block with a relaxed hand, then doing a backflip, landing like a smiling gymnast, "I heard the boys have a song called 'Meat Puppet' and I wonder if they wrote it for you."

Evangeline changed the knife from her right hand to her left one, waving it as she spun. Kimberly narrowly missed the blade at her throat, not even a hair was cut.

Kimberly considered that Evangeline was getting too sloppy, especially when the raven-haired slid and lost her balance, ducking and placing one hand on the floor as the blonde finally kicked the knife out of her hand.

Evangeline had no other choice but to get up quickly and backflip, breathing heavily while her blonde stepsister smiled.

Once the two were standing upright again, Evangeline could clearly see her sister smirking.

"I am faster than you," Kimberly said.

"I know that, of course," Evangeline then held the handgun up. Kimberly gasped. Now it made sense why Evangeline slipped. It wasn't a sloppy fighting style, just a plan to keep her eyes away from the target.

“Tricky, like when we trained together," the blue-eyed girl said. "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

“Oh, and by the way,” Evie said, taking a step forward, “Thank you for kicking the knife out of my hand."

“Drop your weapon," it was Blackfox, who suddenly had the knife at Kimberly's neck. She didn’t even flinch.

“Well, well. It seems like teamwork is the strength of this community," Kimberly laughed despite being cornered, raising her hands in surrender. "Well done. You impress me."

“Sister, I think you've run out of options," Evangeline said. "Now tell me. What is your plan?”

"I already told you that we are not sisters," the blonde said. "And I'm not going to tell you anything."

"What about the attack at the restaurant?" Blackfox asked from behind her. "And all those hunters at concerts using tranquilizer darts? I know you know something!"

"If I were involved in that, don't you think I would have kidnapped the boys by now?" the blonde mocked.

Evie narrowed her eyes.

There was an awkward silence afterwards.

Until...

"Evie!" It was Frank's voice, and the apartment door burst open, kicked off the door frame.

Kimberly took the opportunity and elbowed Blackfox in the face, rolling on the ground and grabbing the grapple gun, aiming it at the window.

"See you around," she fired the gun, but just as she was about to retract the metal wire, Evie was behind her, with her gun at the back of her head.

“I think not,” Evie nodded at Blackfox, who was rubbing his nose as he took away the grapple gun from Kimberly, holding both of her hands behind her back and putting the knife back to her neck.

"You almost cost me my hostage, guys," Evie said, still aiming at the blonde

"Oh! Sorry,” Frank said, standing still, staring at Blackfox restraining the blonde. "Well... I guess you didn't need help."

"I told Zeth to let me handle this alone, Frank," Evie replied. "But thanks anyway for breaking down my door."

"Everett, I told you to turn the knob first!" Draco shouted.

"But that made entrance more dramatic," Everett said, and Evie shook her head.

"The door was unlocked, big guy!" Evie shouted.

"Con una chingada! Why are you so impulsive, big guy?!" Alex yelled. "Now you are going to fix this! Let's go get Frank's toolbox!"

"I like using hammers," Everett said. "It reminds me of when I sculpted ice statue for Cousin Bigfoot's wedding."

"Is everything okay then?" Finn asked, poking his head, and Evie nodded.

"Everything okay here."

"Are you sure?" Kevin was the one to ask now.

"Wow, you have some cute boys watching your back now," Kim said in a mocking voice. "And it seems that Robocop here doesn't hold a grudge against you."

"Say what you want," Frank replied, cracking his knuckles. "I've been told worse things."

"Like what? Electric eel? Lightning rod? Sparky? Trojan Horse?"

"Trojan Horse?" Frank cocked his head.

"Hasn't Evie here told you?" Kimberly raised an eyebrow. "Maybe it's time for you to know that your accident was... Hey!"

"Shut up!" Blackfox pressed the knife harder against the blonde's neck.

"What?" Frank furrowed his eyebrows. "What are you talking about?"

"It's nothing, Frank!" Evie tried to change the subject, but Frank shook his head and stepped closer to the blonde.

"Don't you know it yet?" Kimberly laughed. "Wow! You're even less trustworthy than you seem, Evie!"

"What is she talking about?" Frank asked the black-haired girl.

"I see you don't know anything about your grandfather's crazy things, Rubinstein," Kimberly laughed. "Oh well! I think you and your Femme Fatale here have a lot to talk about!"

"Blackfox, take Kimberly, in her underwear, to the room she was in before she escaped," Evie ordered, "Frank. You and I need to talk."