CHAPTER 56

Frank and Evie had remained silent since they left her apartment.

They had walked upstairs, from the third floor to the fifth floor of the Frozen Tower where she lived, to access the wall walk that connected it and the Broken Tower.

Once inside the desolate construct that had cracks everywhere and seemed to be about to collapse, Evie tried to say something, but as they both walked up three floors of spiral-ish stone stairs until they made it to the battlements of the Broken Tower, she didn't make a sound. The only thing she did was look at the starry sky and pray to whoever listened to give her the strength to confess.

Frank immediately took out a cigarette from his pocket and lit it with his lighter finger, then took a couple of long drags.

After looking at the moon and stars above him, he took another drag and talked.

"Don't waste my time, Evie. Tell me what's so important that you brought me here." Frank said, "It's been a long time since you and I set foot on this... Dangerous roof."

"It's complicated. I know it is dangerous to be here, but there's no better place to talk about this. This place is important to both of us." She replied, "Neither of us knew it could collapse, but if it happens..." She raised her grapple gun, "You know I'll save you."

"Yeah, right," he grunted and resumed his smoking.

Lyonfort had changed so much over the years that there were roof gardens, outdoor gyms, heliports, bars and even some swimming pools by now on the battlements of each tower, but no one dared to build anything on this unstable architectural failure. It was a quiet place, perfect for talking about difficult topics or meditating with the imminent risk of dying by falling into a hole.

The whole thing was terrifying in its own right, but at night, it was especially magical. It was a place where the air was filled with truth serum, or gas? Well, like Draco said... Semantics.

"I am waiting. Or will you not say anything?" Frank insisted, smoking faster. His eyes were on the north, where the sea and the sky ended, hearing how the tidal waves clashed against grey rocks at the base of the cliff. That was the only sound he could hear, that and the wind, but there was not a word from Evie in the air.

"I'm thinking how to tell you what I want to say without breaking you any further, Frank," Evie wanted to talk about so many things, but she knew there wouldn't be enough life or words to confess all of her sins.

But she was sure of one thing... Frank would forgive her, because he was a noble boy, and even the enormous Great Keep of Lyonfort wasn't a big enough place to house Frank's heart.

The first time Evie entered Lyonfort, she thought for a moment that she was a princess.

When she entered The Great Keep, the first thing she saw was the Main Hall, a huge place with lots of stairs, a red carpet and classical music playing in the background. There was a lot of gold here, long windows, and a huge gold and glass chandelier hanging from the ceiling. There were also many people with colourful hair and eccentric clothes, monsters to be precise, probable victims, a paradise for any Hunter. Surely it was a risk that Zeth decided to bringing her here, but perhaps her regret was too sincere in his eyes, because it was, for him to allow her to come and apologise to Frank.

Zeth guided her up some stairs at the back, through a wide golden arch that was covered by heavy red curtains that he opened for her. What she found behind those curtains left her breathless. It was a squared balcony that looked down on the Ball Room. It was a fairy tale place, a squared room, golden floored, and the balcony she was walking on had a window to the left that overlooked a beautiful garden with a fountain, and across said garden there was a corridor of enormous arches.