38: A FRAUDULENT FAVOR (2)

"I will send you a letter to pick up the money once I settle it out of my pocket. Maybe this week it's already complete and ready to use." Rachelle said as she hugged the woman, bidding her a final goodbye.

It was already late, maybe around 5 in the afternoon so the lady decided to go home. All of those talks they engaged in were about fake concerns, hidden intentions, victim blaming, and a lot of things that are sensitive to Rachelle's ears.

"Please don't let me down, dear. I trust that you are very helpful and kind, yes?" Baroness Norwagen said, smiling as she pulled away from hugging Felicia. Her eyes expressed how easy it was to fool the naive girl.

Rachelle could see it.

"Of course, Nanny Hilde. Of course."

"Well then, I'm off. It's great to see you after years of no communication. You grew up as a lovely lady, Felicia darling. I'm so proud." She once again tried to compliment Felicia to get into her good grace, cupping her cheek.

"Todoloo, darling. Until next time!" She finally bid her goodbye, turning her back and climbed inside the carriage, waving her hand to Felicia who was still standing, waving back at her with a fake smile on her lips.

As the Carriage started to move, Felicia turned her back and wiped off the expression on her face. It was an exhausting day, imagine she had to pull off an entire day just to fake her expression.

And she thought she finally had an ally outside of the Dukedom and the Marquisate. The Madame only approaches her for her greedy needs. Reminds her of visiting that one particular guild to ask for more information and counterfeit money.

She can't just give her own money, can she?

She went back to her room, expressionless and didn't mind everyone staring at her for the change in her behaviour. It's as if they had finally accepted that she's no longer the naive woman from the past.

"How was the reunion?" Someone asked what made Rachelle stop from climbing the stairs. She turned her body, only to find Alexander approaching her with his curious expression.

"Reunion? I barely know her." She said and continued to walk fast, not trying to initiate a conversation with him. She's already exhausted from that woman, what more could he want from her?

"Barely? That woman basically raised you like her own daughter." He said, trying to catch up with her stride. Felicia rolled her eyes, that's false. There's something in the storyline that doesn't connect.

Aren't Nannies supposed to stay inside? The Duke's salary being the Nanny can make anyone rich immediately. But why did she leave if she was supposedly the one who raised Felicia? Why was there no information about that woman?

"What do you mean? I really don't know her." She argued back, annoyed with him. "Don't you remember her? She suddenly vanished after Mom died... You know..." He expressed.

That's when Felicia stopped taking further steps and looked at Alexander whose face was filled with guilt and misery. Oh how guilty he is after he blamed her for things she didn't do.

And if there are ways to return favours or at least to get back to her because he messed up badly, he will do anything to regain her trust. Felicia smiled, It looked like he was already falling into her spell.

"Vanished? She wasn't fired?" Felicia asked as she was hooked on the story. Seems like she wouldn't need to ask for any information about the lady since Alexander knew something about it. Save her for like half a million of gold there.

"I heard she submitted a resignation letter and walked away after Mom arrived. That's when the mistreatment started to happen." He said in a quiet tone, trying not to make a sound or else others may hear what they're speaking of.