105: A NEW FRIEND

"I see... What a thoughtful gift from the Emperor." The Empress made a remark, smiling the embarrassment away as she still didn't invite Felicia to sit down. Everyone seemed to notice how the Empress gave off the vibe that she didn't like the young woman.

"You may sit with us." The Empress finally let her sit down, however, the only available chair was the farthest from the group, surely this was planned to exclude her from their party.

Seeing this as an indicator that she doesn't want her at all, she bowed her head and followed the Empress' command, sitting at the last chair while minding her own business. Some snickered and gave her glances, especially Helena who seemed to be mocking her with her blue eyes.

Tsk, just because she's favoured she's looking down at her.

"Dear you, Saintess. You look so beautiful. It's as if the peonies from the fields are floating around you." The nobles started to compliment Helena, making Helena smile shyly at the showered compliments from them.

"Of course, my niece is blessed by the Goddess because of her beauty. Her beauty should match the highest position." The Empress commented looking spitefully at Felicia who remained calm while drinking her tea.

So this is the agenda of their tea party, to throw some shades at her. To give a boost to Helena for her image after she wrecked the night. She smiled as she sipped her tea, how low can the Empress step in just for her?

It's making her somewhat proud. An Empress lowering herself in standards? That's something out of the ordinary. "But lady Felicia, your dress really captivated everyone's eyes. Where did you buy it?" A noble lady asked an innocent child who earned people's scornful gaze after she decided to talk to her.

"Ah?" Felicia looked. "The dress? I bought it from an old friend of mine, the Viscountess Rajeh. Her boutique is located in the capital. Quite exotic for the taste but honestly, it's very beautiful." Felicia answered, smiling at the girl who admired her.

"But to think you wore a dress that does not resonate with valuing pureness. It is quite... Too flashy." One of the noble women commented, using her fan to hide the smile on her lips.

'Too flashy? That wasn't even flashy compared to what everyone has worn.'She thought to herself as she sighed. These nobles think that they should stick to what the Empress wears.

Times changed.

"I don't think that the lady wore something flashy. You could say Madame Parr that it was absolutely fresh in the eyes but not flashy. It's beautiful." Another girl commented, looking at Felicia with a smile.

She was gentle, her brown hair and hazel eyes suited her pale skin.

"Right! I think it's only right for a new wave of fashion to arrive at this time." Someone added, boosting Felicia's image that made her stand out despite the Empress planning to exclude her from this event.

"I shall visit the boutique too and recommend this Viscountess that you are talking about. I can't believe a woman has made a dress." Another Madame said with such enthusiasm, bringing forth the topic of her dress.

Seeing how the situation had turned to her favour, she eyed the Empress who was gripping her teacup, her face looking like a crumpled paper while Helena's expression twitched, didn't want this to happen at all.

"Can a woman really create a dress?" Helena replied, hoping to create a loophole but the noblewomen looked at her, frowning upon what she had just said. Even the Empress didn't like what she said, looking at Helena as if she made a grave mistake.

"What's the matter? Aren't women supposed to be housewives —"

"I beg to disagree, your Holiness. But some women do work. Who do you think works with the dresses that you are wearing? Do you think those men who monopolize the fashion industry do them? No, they require a female worker to do the sewing. Have you not learned that?" The same woman who helped her earlier spoke, making Felicia look at her.