Chapter no.56 Trail by Shadows

Read advance chapters of all my works or want to support me .
https://www.p.a.t.r.e.on.com/Adamo_Amet
....
Join us on discord :
https://discord.gg/DXv2nkTB
••••••••••••••••••
Hiruzen Sarutobi was tired, weary, done with it, but above all he was anxious.

Because of his stupid ANBU commander, there was no telling how Naruto would be with him.

The Hokage sighed.

He had lied, for so long, justifying the secret with increasingly flimsy reasons.

He knew the truth would one day be revealed to the boy but Hiruzen had hoped… Something.

Maybe his old masked friend was right. Maybe age had made him cowardly. Hiruzen sighed again.

No, not age, age was an excuse.

A part of him had always been like this.

He could lead and fight a war, slaughter countless souls, but when it came to people he was attached to, he could not face his mistakes.

Tsunade, Orochimaru, his sons, and now Naruto.

A growing list of people he had been too afraid to face, for various reasons.

He just hoped Naruto was only angry with him.

He could not take it if the boy decided to hate him.

Hiruzen leveled a glare at the dragon masked shadow standing in the corner of his office.

All because some rowdy subordinate had seen fit to talk.

Despite the mask, the Hokage could feel the commander was answering with a glare of his own.

The two old men locked eyes for a minute in a staring contest, heavily in favor of the cloaked man as glaring at a blank mask was incredibly jarring.

The Hokage averted his gaze first and sighed.

"I would like to apologize for earlier."

The old man breathed out like someone had ripped a tooth out of his mouth.

"I was-"

"Tired, worried, and not thinking clearly," completed the masked commander.

"There is not much to forgive. I will not retract my words, though, if that is what you are counting on."

"The boy will hate me now."

Hiruzen almost whined.

"If that is the extent of your trust in him, then he would be right to do so."

Dragon answered in a scathing monotone.

The Hokage winced and palmed his face. "You are right of course."

Silence fell on the two ninja.

Dragon was perfectly still while the Hokage was fidgeting with increasing intensity.

"What will you tell him?"

The ANBU asked suddenly, stopping Hiruzen's flailing.

"What?"

"The boy will need answers, Hiruzen," chided the ANBU in a vaguely impatient tone.

"The only questions are, what answers and who will give them."

"His father's name is a secret, that is non-negotiable."

"I know the logic behind that and it is erroneous by now. It will do much more harm when the truth eventually comes out-"