Chapter no.133 Threat: Danzo

Read advance chapters of all my works or want to support me .
https://www.p.a.t.r.e.on.com/Adamo_Amet
....
Join us on discord :
https://discord.gg/DXv2nkTB
••••••••••••••••••
Hiruzen Sarutobi stared at one of his most brilliant jonin, undoubtedly the best mind of Konoha, as the man puzzled what his Hokage had just told him into a possible theory.

Shikaku Nara sighed and muttered something the Kage did not hear. "I cannot make sense of it." The jonin commander eventually said, his voice a lazy, stretched drawl. "It does not correspond to his profile."

"I reached the same conclusion."

The Nara rose a tired hand to his face and rubbed his eyes before he allowed the hand to fall, dragging across his visage. "There is something else, Hokage-sama. You know it already, but I cannot understand what you hope from me."

The older man sighed. "I mainly wanted to see if you were of the same opinion as me, Shikaku."

"Well, Danzo is somehow on the move. His isolation was not as complete as we hoped it was. Which could mean too many things as of now to formulate a theory without further leads. The big question is, is he moving alone or not? The sabotage at the Academy points nowhere, as it happened for a long time without being uncovered yet was nonetheless found to be clumsy in its execution."

"We should have discovered it, but we somehow did not," summarized the Hokage, lassitude clearly audible in his voice. "I'm wondering what it means."

"It could mean pretty much anything. If we choose to trust Danzo's established profile, then it was not self-serving and was aimed at the betterment of Konoha."

"Danzo can have a somewhat self-serving vision of the "betterment of Konoha", Shikaku," said the Hokage, reminiscing about something with a grimace.

"While your attempted assassination was a grave offence Hokage-sama, I'm not sure Danzo saw it like that." The Nara drawled. "I remember him being rather convinced of the rightfulness of his actions," the jonin stopped for a second, considering something, "and Inoichi is rather talented at establishing accurate psychological profiles of people." He added as an after-thought, his voice still the same slow drawl.

Hiruzen sighed again and started to prepare his pipe. A minute of contemplative silence followed, both men lost in their own trains of thought. The Hokage had no complaint when Shikaku lit a cigarette of his own just as he lit his pipe. Smoke soon rose in lazy volutes and clouds, covering the men's faces.

"It could be a warning." The older of the two men spoke again. "Our security was lax enough that a bunch of trusted chunin could be manipulated into sabotaging the Academy without anyone being the wiser, with at least one outsider element included in the lot. So, something general."

"Or it could be an attack, and the sabotaging was nothing but a diversion." Shikaku retorted.

"A diversion? But he wanted us to discover…" The Hokage interrupted himself. What good was a diversion if it was so sneaky it wasn't causing the intended trouble? Not for the first time this past month, Hiruzen could feel a raging headache mounting slowly.

"I think we have no choice but to establish Danzo's culpability in this affair, Hokage-sama. As long as there is a doubt about who is involved or not, we could be chasing ghosts, mistake the tree for the forest."

The Hokage gave the jonin a half-tired, half-amused smile. "Which would be rather ironic for Konoha, wouldn't it?"

Shikaku took a long drag from his cigarette. "I suppose so."

"Who would you send to him?"

"He is a sly fox. No less than Ibiki."

"The head of Interrogation himself? Won't that up his guard?"

"I do not believe for a second that his sojourn with the monks made Danzo any more tender than he was, Hokage-sama. The Warhawk always has his guard up."

The Hokage gave a weary, regretful smile. "He does, doesn't he? What about Ibiki's escort?"

"Perfectly loyal shinobi, sufficiently talented with genjutsu. Aoba, Kakashi, Gai."

"All high-level jonin? That's a little bit overkill. And all three of them are busy with their teams."

"The genin can go too. They do not need to be anywhere near Danzo."

"If Danzo is being helped by an accomplice, that would put them in danger."

"The monks are not completely incapable of defending themselves, and they might be genin but they are ninja first." Shikaku answered, his drawl taking a cold edge. "Blood is something they will doubtlessly come to see."

Hiruzen stared at the jonin commander, a mix of surprise and careful consideration shining dimly in his eyes, before he nodded. "You are right of course."

Shikaku sighed and his drawl was this time tainted by slight worry. "I do not rejoice in sending my son and two kids I consider as my nephew and niece in front of potential danger but unfortunately, they carry the symbol of Konoha on them and I cannot treat them as children anymore."

"This damned headband, am I right?" The Hokage muttered, a hint of bitterness may be discernible at the edge of his tone.

Shikaku shrugged. "It might give much but it takes greatly. From all of us."

"That it does. I think I agree with your suggestion, Shikaku. Aoba, Kakashi, Gai, along with their teams, will accompany Ibiki to pay a visit to my old friend. We need to get to the bottom of this affair."

The Nara nodded and sent a sharp glance at his Kage. "I'll keep a part of my mind on it, Hokage-sama."

"I thank you for that. Now go or I do believe you'll be late for your monthly drinking contest with Choza."

Shikaku smirked. "This time for sure…" The Nara mumbled, more for himself than anyone else.

"I doubt it but good luck nonetheless." The Hokage smiled and gestured to the commander that he was free to take his leave. It was fortunate the Nara's deer antlers were, among other uses, a fantastic hangover remedy, the jonin would doubtlessly need some in a few hours.

Hiruzen had to admit though, Shikaku had come a long way with alcohol tolerance. Chouza was just three times his weight and an Akimichi. Even Tsunade had difficulties winning against the clan head of the autumn road in drinking.