Chapter no.139 Calm Before the Storm

"That punk took five minutes to die. What a fucking roach." Jirobo said angrily, looking at the corpse of the Naruto and spitting a glob of blood, saliva, and other fluids at Naruto before kicking the boy squarely in the ribs.

"Stop moving Jirobo-sama. I cannot heal you correctly if you do not stand still and you'll risk losing your hand."

"Tch! This little shit. Shame you didn't keep him alive though; two hostages are better than one." Jirobo grunted, glaring once more at the blond cadaver.

"I apologize for that Jirobo-sama. I let-"

"Yeah, yeah whatever. We can't stay for long so hurry up!"

"I made sure any and all their attempt at contacting the rest of their team was suppressed. We do have some delay before they realized something is wrong with their rear-guard, Jirobo-sama."

"Just shut up and hurry up," growled the man in retort.

"Yes, Jirobo-sama."

Silence fell around the two standing Oto-nin and their restrained prisoner, Cat disturbed only by the humming of Iryo-jutsu and the chirping of various birds. A cool breeze whirled past them and a minute went by before the woman suddenly wobbled. The healing chakra sheathing her hands flickered out and she breathed in heavily.

"What is it, Kagero?"

"I do not know, Jirobo-sama. I feel… Weak. Lightheaded."

The fake Akimichi threw a glance at his wrist and, judging it sufficiently repaired for now, turned to his subordinate. "Poison?"

"Possible, Jirobo-sama." That was only fair; she herself had poisoned the boy after all. A powerful opioid-based substance had invaded his body in a matter of seconds and had lowered his inhibitions. She had topped that with a genjutsu. There was nothing worse and messier than a panicked man dying from having his throat opened so making death welcoming was actually a good way to go when murdering someone. It avoided needless shouting and thrashing. Plus, opioids were never considered when building poison resistance: they were the basis for too many painkillers.

"Take care of yourself. I'll carry the prisoner. we leave in a minute."

With a nod, the woman gathered her thoughts as best as she could and, after a series of hand-signs, healing chakra shone and hummed once again around her hands. She was dizzy, nauseous, and her heart was beating madly in her chest as if she had exhausted herself. Dark spots pulsed in front of her, obscuring her vision. Kagero inhaled deeply but the feeling of suffocation did not leave her.

She knew what she had been poisoned with. Cyanide was a bitch. To makes things worse, somehow, it had been delivered to her brain already despite her built up resilience to it. She turned toward the smiling corpse of the young blond and scowled. This rat had distracted Jigumo to his death and killed Kamikiri. There was no way he was taking her too.

With a murderous glare that the dead ANBU ignored, the woman sat in seiza, slowing down her heartbeat and scanning herself with her iryojutsu.

It was then that the world exploded.

......

Dog knew something had gone wrong. She had nothing to base the thought on but the fact that the hair on her arms was standing and her spine was constantly run through by an electric shiver were just two of many signs which could well have been hard facts to her.

A ninja had to trust their instincts and the Inuzuka had the best instincts of all.

When La barged from their rear, alerting his brother Hai and Dog, the Inuzuka operator realized that in the mix of emotions she was experiencing, surprise was ranked low.