Blood

Trigger Warning: Self-harm

Before the first period, a study committee member came in at the last minute to collect everyone's summer homework and along the way, distributed a signup form for extracurricular activities.

When Chu Yu handed in his homework, he incidentally glanced and found that Lu Shi's test paper was no different from his own. He'd also chosen to fill in just the multiple-choice section, and only wrote either two lines of ideas for the big questions, or simply drew two supplementary lines and it was done. It looked entirely empty.

He suddenly had a new insight— it turned out that there was a common ground between the study god's level and the study slag's situation to a certain extent!

The study committee member raised his voice and urged them irritably, "Hurry up, finish filling out the club forms and submit them! It's time to start class!"

The classroom was full of discussions. Zhang Yueshan held his pen and turned to ask Chu Yu, "Chu Yu, what did you fill in? I'm still in the middle of hesitating. Should I choose tennis, fencing, or taekwondo? I like them all!"

His gaze fell on Chu Yu's form and was puzzled. "Gardening A? There's such an option?"

His deskmate, who'd always attended the main school, chimed in with the inside story, "'Gardening' is a hidden option, it's not on the list."

At the bottom of the page, Chu Yu signed his name with a swish swish and put the cap back on his pen. "Indeed. It's exclusive for water skiing."

Zhang Yueshan was curious. "Why did you choose this extracurricular activity? Is it just pruning plants and trimming leaves?"

"No," Chu Yu explained, "behind the school's sports field and separated by a small forest, there are thermostatic botanical gardens and glass greenhouses. My duty would be to press the button which turns on the watering equipment inside these botanical gardens. When there's enough moisture in the air and soil, the equipment will detect it and automatically stop running."

Zhang Yueshan gasped in amazement, uncertain of how to respond for a long time, before finally commenting, "Sure enough, it's exceedingly suitable for water skiing!"

Chu Yu was proud: Of course, I meticulously selected it for myself!

After receiving the summer homework, the study committee representative impatiently collected the forms. When he picked up the last two sheets, he inadvertently noted their responses— incredible, Gardening A for School Flower Chu, and Gardening B for Lu-Shen. Has maintaining the constant temperature in a botanical garden and greenhouse ever been so exciting?

The morning's first period was math. Chu Yu couldn't make sense of what he was hearing and also didn't want to force himself, so he simply took out his manga and continued reading.

Two pages in and he suddenly remembered something. He stretched his hand into his desk compartment, and after blindly feeling around, he finally found a milk candy.

After tasting it, Chu Yu frowned and realized that last time wasn't an illusion. The candy lacked the rich, milky sweet taste it used to have.

A deep and inexplicable anxiety emerged within Chu Yu's heart as he stuffed some other fruit candy into his mouth.

Before this change, eating two candies together would make him unbearably cloyed but now, he only tasted a bit of sweetness.

Staring at the two wrappers in his hand, Chu Yu was stumped— Do I have a perpetual low-grade fever that's numbing my tastebuds?

His good mood from his recovery fell back to the bottom in an instant.

After grieving for most of the morning, Chu Yu decided to stop his imagination from running wild, and comforted himself with the thought that maybe it was because of the neurological dysfunction. His sense of taste was just temporarily dulled, it would be fine in a few days.