Scars

TW: Mentions of self-harm

The phone's app notification stated that a cold air current had rapidly descended from the north to the south, and its effects would be very significant. For example, the temperature would decrease again in the middle of the night.

Chu Yu lay in bed, listening to the whirring wind outside the window.

He recalled that as a child, he was very afraid of nights like this.

In his eyes, all lights and shadows transformed into bloody tentacles and sharp claws and teeth, and the rustling of leaves became dangerous movements of monsters lurking outside the window.

During those times, every night, he'd tightly hold on to the quilt and tell stories to hypnotize himself, relying on hopes that he'd stop being afraid if he fell asleep.

Chu Yu rested his elbows on the bed and half-raised his body. He reached out to grab a game console, and after making sure there was still electricity, he changed his position and played on the bed.

He opened a newly downloaded puzzle game. The beginning was fairly simple, and there was hardly a need to use the brain, so Chu Yu passed four or five levels in a row. With his fingers on the buttons, he couldn't help but look in the direction of the door.

His mother never stayed at home for long periods of time. There were too many things for her to deal with, and too many urgent problems for her to solve.

He didn't know if Shi Yaling was still present.

Thinking of what Shi Yaling had said earlier and the stern expression on her face, vexation surged in Chu Yu's heart. But it didn't take long for this vexation to dissipate.

Lying on the soft pillow, Chu Yu thought, did this count as him being a little more mature?

No matter how Shi Yaling criticized and opposed, he was very clear about what he should insist on and what he couldn't give up.

In the past, he'd lived muddle-headedly, regarding Shi Yaling as very important and even subconsciously attaching a lot of feelings and emotions towards the other.

So after realizing the truth, it took quite a long period of adjusting.

But now, it seemed different.

Thinking of this, Chu Yu brought his hand to the tip of his nose and sniffed— was this perhaps the smell of a mature man?

At that moment, Chu Yu faintly felt something. He turned his head and stared at the floor-to-ceiling window for a few seconds before hesitantly getting up. Stepping barefoot on the carpet, he walked to the window and looked down.

The buildings in the Nandao villa area were scattered, so the lights of another household could only be seen from some distance away.

Correspondingly, for the sake of beauty and protection of privacy, the greening of each place was very well done. Although it was winter, all the branches and leaves were still lush.

Beside the shrubbery, next to the dark green-painted lamp post, was Lu Shi in a black jacket; long legs stretched his jeans straight and both hands were habitually inserted in his pockets.

As if feeling something at that same moment, Lu Shi raised his head.

The youth's facial features weren't so clear in the dark of the night, they were even immersed in the shadows, as if wanting to blend in with the background.

Chu Yu heard his heartbeat gradually become fiercer, beat by beat, continuously striking his eardrums without interruption.

Lu Shi had excellent patience. He simply stood by the lamp post and quietly gazed at him.