Being as Beautiful as Flowers

The heavy rain that began in the afternoon poured for several hours before gradually stopping.

Within a shrubbery dripping with water, a small brown frog leaped out, splashing puddles as it landed before soon disappearing into a flower bed.

Chu Yu, who was sitting on a flight of stairs, picked up a branch blown off by the strong wind, lowered his head, and poked at the water accumulated in a small puddle.

He was originally at a loss, and also somewhat indescribably scared.

But after listening to Lu Shi's words, his mood strangely found a fulcrum of balance. At any rate, he'd been given a buffer period amongst the chaos to sort out his thoughts.

"I," Chu Yu first emphasized, "I didn't really cry just now."

Lu Shi glanced at him and didn't refute. With an indifferent voice, he said, "Yeah."

Poking at the two shadows beneath the streetlamp with the branch in his hand, Chu Yu was a little lost in thought.

A gust of night wind blew past, and his soaked clothes that were brushed by it caused a slight chill. He involuntarily curled up, shivering as he came back to his senses. "I... I have a lot to say but my mind is very messy. I don't know where I should start."

Lu Shi bowed his head as he patiently and meticulously folded up the umbrella in a neat manner, his fingers curving into nice lines.

Fastening the umbrella shut, Lu Shi shifted his gaze and saw Chu Yu's dense, curly eyelashes drooping and listless.

He took the initiative to say, "First of all, we can be sure that you aren't an 'ordinary', 'normal' human being. Ordinary and normal human beings don't have the ability to make wounds heal at a speed visible to the naked eye."

Chu Yu nodded unhappily. "True."

"In the restaurant on Qingchuan Road and in the hallway outside the classroom, you asked me the same question. You questioned if there was something delicious hidden on me, and it was because you smelled a very fragrant scent from my body."

Lu Shi's appearance was calm, as if he was solving a mathematical problem, analyzing each part point by point. "When did you first smell this so-called very fragrant scent?"

Chu Yu followed Lu Shi's reasoning. "This, I remember! It was on Qingchuan Road. When you fought with that group of tattooed guys, wasn't your left arm wounded and bleeding? It was then, the first time I smelled that fragrant smell which made my throat feel dry and itchy."

"This never happened before?"

Chu Yu was quite certain. "Never ever."

Lu Shi continued to question him, "Was there anything unusual after that?"

"Unusual? With regards to anything unusual, there's actually a lot." Chu Yu gradually sorted out his thoughts and began to enumerate the instances with his fingers. "I'm experiencing something a bit similar to a growth spurt; my nails and hair grow rapidly, so I have to cut them almost daily. I'm always thirsty but I don't want to drink water, and awfully hungry but have no desire for food, making my appetite the worst and I even vomit after eating.

"Oh right, my fever started the night I returned home from Qingchuan Road. My veins had obviously felt like they were about to explode but the thermometer showed that my temperature was only at 36.5°C, so frustrating. Also," Chu Yu hesitated, "I kept having the same dream repeatedly for many nights."

"What dream?"

"It was," Chu Yu looked away, "it was a dream about you."

Why was it so awkward to say this?