Bear With It

WTF, what is this? Is this a fucking declaration of love?

Wei Guanglei nearly dropped the can in his hand.

However, when he observed Lu Shi carefully, he found that he seemed... not quite right?

There wasn't any sprouting of spring in his heart, the brilliance of love, or the uneasiness due to hidden feelings. Inside Lu-Ge's eyes, it was always dark and cold, as if nothing could be seen; there wasn't the least bit of light nor a trace of waves.

He didn't know why, but Wei Guanglei felt an inexplicable hint of chill in his heart as he recalled his words just now.

On the other side, Chu Yu and Zhu Zhifei stood at the door of the beef house, waiting for Uncle Yang to make tea.

They originally wanted to take just a pot and leave, but Uncle Yang insisted they wait two minutes while he made another pot.

Zhu Zhifei got bored while waiting. He used his toes to grind a leaf that had fallen on the ground and chatted, "Don't mind the store's small size because their flavor is really good! After all, Uncle Yang has had this restaurant for over ten years. Whenever the adults in our family are too busy to cook, Shitou and I would come here to eat in our childhood. Uncle Yang always prepares a few extra pieces of meat for us, saying that if we eat more we'll grow taller by an additional two centimeters."

"Yeah, the stewed beef was really delicious!" Chu Yu was puzzled again. "What about Lu Shi?"

"Lu-Ge? You're asking why Lu-Ge wasn't with us?"

Seeing Chu Yu nod, Zhu Zhifei smiled and answered, "If I were to say that Shitou and I have, in reality, only known Lu-Ge for a little more than a year, would you believe it?"

Chu Yu was a bit surprised.

"I thought—"

"Thought we grew up together?"

"Well, yeah, I just assumed... you three live near each other so you're neighbors who played and went to school together. You're all very familiar with each other and each other's parents. When you came to find Lu Shi after school yesterday, I heard you say your mother asked him to come to your house for a meal."

"I'm not lying to you, Lu-Ge truly moved here more than a year ago, around summer vacation of our third year in junior high. I heard my mother say that she, Shitou's mother, and Lu-Ge's mother were best friends who had grown up together. More than ten or twenty years have passed since they last saw each other but their friendship still stands strong.

"Lu-Ge moved into the house his mother lived in before and became our neighbor. My mother and Aunt Rou told me and Shitou to take care of Lu-Ge, familiarize him with the surroundings and make sure he wasn't lonely."

Zhu Zhifei's voice lowered a little. "Unfortunately, my mom and Aunt Rou were very naive! How could Shitou and I take care of Lu-Ge? It's obviously Lu-Ge who covers for us both!"

Chu Yu asked quietly, "Covers for you two?"

"Sure does! Even up till now our mothers don't know that when Lu-Ge moved here to Qingchuan Road," Zhu Zhifei held out a finger and shook it, "he got into five fights the very first week, and he's been famous on Qingchuan Road since then. Those weak chickens can only call him daddy while on their knees! As you can imagine, Shitou and I were stunned and called him Lu-Ge right then and there! If that isn't what a brother should be, then what is a brother?!"

Hearing the last sentence, Chu Yu remembered. "Our class rep, Zhang Yueshan, said something similar to what you just did."

"Similar? What did he say?"