I Promised You

Chu Yu propped his hand on the cold rock wall of the cave, walked back cautiously, and urged, "Rep, Rep, quick quick quick, make a sound, it'll be good for me to hear some noises to determine your position."

There wasn't a trace of light around and Chu Yu felt a little scared—

Will I bump into a fucking ghost in the next second?

"School Flower, I'm here."

"Fuck! What did I step on?"

"Fuck! School Flower, you stepped on my calf! Your level of sound localization isn't so good!"

"Ah? This is your calf? I thought I stepped on something else, scared me to death."

Chu Yu breathed a sigh of relief, fumbled around, and sat down against the rock wall. "I went to the entrance of the cave to take a look just now and it was tightly blocked. We definitely won't be able to push it open with only the two of us."

Regarding the situation just now, Zhang Yueshan still had lingering fears. He stumbled on his words, "Earlier... did we encounter a mountain landslide?"

Speaking out loud the last two words, Zhang Yueshan's heart was still beating fiercely.

He'd only seen landslides in books and videos before, but seeing it this time with his own eyes made him realize how horrible it truly was.

Looking back now, Zhang Yueshan felt that he was merely a millimeter away from his death moments ago.

"It should be a landslide. The rolling rocks and soil blocked the cave entrance in one go. We definitely can't get out with just the two of us, unless we suddenly awaken some power, gain super-strength, or are able to attract thunder and lightning so we could blast the cave's mouth open."

After finishing his feigned relaxed speech, Chu Yu opened his mouth. Unable to utter a sound, he simply went quiet again.

Thinking of the scene earlier when countless gravel and soil came tumbling down like a waterfall from above, Chu Yu couldn't help but once again look in the direction of the cave entrance.

Neither of them spoke.

"Sorry."

Hearing Zhang Yueshan apologize, Chu Yu was puzzled. "Why suddenly say sorry to me?"

"I shouldn't have dragged you out to find some wild matsutake when it was raining heavily." Zhang Yueshan wiped his face. "If it weren't- if it weren't for me insisting on searching for wild matsutake, you wouldn't have come out with me. If we hadn't come out, we wouldn't have run into a landslide at all, and then we wouldn't be trapped in this cave, unable to leave..."

With limited vision, hearing would become sensitive, therefore Chu Yu could hear Zhang Yueshan's voice shaking.

This won't do.

"Class Rep, even if what you say makes sense, you can't think that way. Your motive was good from the start, foraging wild matsutake then returning to make soup so everyone could try it together. Besides, what's with that 'only if' nonsense, how could anyone know that there'd be an accident the first thing they went out tomorrow? One can't really tell when it comes to accidents and whatnot. I could be walking on the street and a flower pot could smash my brain into blooming outta my head, am I right? You're not a god. Similarly, you had no idea there'd be a sudden landslide prior to going out."

"Chu Yu, don't comfort me." Zhang Yueshan smiled bitterly as he spoke faster and faster, "If it weren't for me... if it weren't for me running up the mountain on a rainy day on a whim; no, if it wasn't for me setting up the celebration party in this villa, there'd be no such thing taking place. Basically—"