Part 2 Chapter 10

^a cute little sketch of  the dragon done by @-strength .WARNING the name is spoiled. And remember, I love fan art. Keep em coming!

Markers; 180,800 reads, 8720 votes

AN; So I have some sad news, I'm going to have to update even less than I already do. I'm currently in college right now and very busy with friends and school work. I'll try to update when I can. Thanks for reading<3 Sam

I looked at my mom and then at the black dragon in front of me. It was smaller than Nessie and had a sprinkle of golden specks scattered around its onyx scales, like golden stars floating in the black sky. But despite how beautiful he was, he looked like he would barely be able to carry my weight, and no way was I interested in learning how to ride him.

"Umm mom, why did you get me a dragon?" I asked, looking wearily at the creature in front of me. I hadn't exactly had good experiences with dragons so far in my life.

"I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that I got it to reaffirm my belief that you weren't going to be gone forever," my mom said, and I felt yet another gut-wrenching stab to my heart. One more word from her and my heart would shatter into a million pieces. Why had I ever let myself be sucked through that portal, and why did she have to keep saying sad things? Was she trying to make me feel guilty because if so she could stop, I already felt plenty?

"His name is Deception," she continued, "He's an Irwin, and he's built for speed. Don't you like him?"

"I like him," I lied, "I was just wondering how you knew that would be such a great present for me?"

My mom sighed, and a small smile pulled at her upper lip "Violet, you hate him, don't you?"

I shook my head furiously "No mom I really do love him, but learning how to ride a dragon takes a long time, time I didn't have. Plus I would have to feed him, clean him..." I trailed off.

"It's true that you won't have a whole lot of free time from now on, there is a lot to do around camp, and everyone has to pitch in for things to run smoothly around here, but you should be able to squeeze dragon care into your free time."

"Yeah, I guess," I said.

"Great! I'll find you an instructor!" my mom grinned.

"No it's okay, Henry could just teach me," I said and froze when I realized who I just volunteered to teach me.

I looked into my mom's face, and she looked back at me, the grin on her face was frozen in place "No, I don't think so," she said, and I cringed internally at the iciness in her voice.

Yeah, better not push this.

"Okay," I said and looked away from her.

"Can I show you my dragon now?!" Emily asked, "I got one too!" she said excitedly.

"I turned my head to look at her. I smiled, thankful for the distraction, "Okay," I said and watched her remove a similar silver whistle from the pocket of the brown pants she was wearing. She brought it to her lips and blew on it, and a dragon with light pink scales tumbled out of rafters and landed in front of us, sending up a puff of dust. The dragon was small too, but it was slightly bigger than Deception and had big and round silver eyes.

Emily strode up to and placed her hand on the tip of its snout and began to rub it, "This is Darkrose," she said, and turned to us, "She's the best dragon ever!" Emily squealed and threw her arms around the dragon's knew and nuzzled her face against the pink scales, "She never gave me any trouble, and she was the only dragon in my class who never threw me off! Plus, look how pretty she is!"