♧Chapter 7

----------------------------------------------------------------> Amber

An

So I know the past two chapters have been kind of boring, but I got to say this is my favorite chapter so far. Enjoy and don't forget to vote and comment if you like. Thanks for reading<3 -Sam

You would think that finding out that you're different in a big bad way would be a crushing blow to anyone, but honestly my mom was taking it harder than me. I just felt numb. I walked over to my mom and hugged her, the whole time the element teller watching us silently. She hugged me back.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you," she whispered between sobs into my ear.

"I'm fine with it," I reassured her. "Same thing happened to you, and you turned out fine."

She tightened her grip on me and began hyperventilating. Well, I guess that wasn't really the right thing to say. After she had found out, she was a magic dud she had attempted to commit suicide and had gotten pregnant from a one night stand. So, before I could say anything else that would just make her panic, even more, I shut my mouth and put a lock on it.

We walked towards the exit in silence and out of that cold building with its marble and gold. I breathed in the fresh scent of the forest gratefully once we were outside.

At first, I thought the lack of color of the Element teller's office was the cause of what I was seeing, but the more I looked, the less I believed that. It was like a veil had been lifted from my eyes. Everything seemed to be sharper and more vibrant than it had been before, but that wasn't the strangest part. I could see people weaving in and out of the trees that lined the path. Some of the people looked like real people, while others looked slightly distorted. One of them stopped and looked at me. I moved a little closer to my mom when I saw that they had no eyes, just black pits where their eyes should have been.

My mom began walking towards the trees, towards the people with black pits for eyes. She looked behind her when she noticed I wasn't following her. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying, and her hair was a little messy.

"Violet, are you coming?" she asked in a hoarse voice.

Even though I was terrified of those people, or whatever you would call them, I didn't want to worry my mother anymore. I had done that enough these past couple days  This was probably my mind going subconsciously crazy because it knew all along I was a magic dud.  Still didn't explain the weird dreams though and the other similar hallucinations. 

"Yeah," I called back and began jogging towards her. I looked at the ground as I did and tried to pretend that those people weren't there.

I let a shriek when I felt an icy hand brush my cheek. My mom looked back at me in alarm. I did my best to look embarrassed. "I ran into a spider web," I explained. My mom didn't look like she completely bought it, but she chose not to say anything.

Once we were safely inside the sky taxi, she slipped her arm around me, and I leaned my head on her shoulder. That rest of the ride home went by in a blur. I remembered getting out of the taxi and going inside. The next thing I knew I was laying on my bed, still in my dress, and it was dark outside.

I sat up and mumbled elum. My room was instantly cast in a soft glow. I got out of bed and walked towards my dresser. I opened the top drawer and plucked my scribing mirror from its hiding place amongst my socks. I opened it and whispered Emily's name to it. It glowed softly, but after ten minutes there was still no response from the other side. I snapped it closed in frustration, and the light slowly dimmed. Emily's mom must have taken her scribing mirror from her.