Part 2 Chapter 14

AN; How did you find this book? Please tell me
in the comments!

Neeva looked down at me for a couple more seconds, before turning his head away, "Yes that is correct daughter," he said and placed a tentative hand on my shoulder. "We should get out of the sight of the public, and continue our discussion in more detail for these matters are rather sensitive and should be said in the absence of curious ears."

"I think you're right." I let him guide me towards a green canvas tent that wasn't too far away from where we had been standing.

"Daughter, are you sure that there's no magic use on that side of the veil?" my father asked me, and lifted up the flap to the tent, and we both stepped in from the bright sunlight outside, into the dim gloom of the tent.

The layout of the tent was simple enough. There was a twin sized bed positioned in one of its corners with brown animal fur draped across it. The only light source for the entire room came from three glass balls that were hovering just above the table. They bobbed up and down ever so slightly. A dark wooden table, capable of seating a family of six, stood in the middle of the tent, but if I had to guess, I don't believe it was used to eat meals at. Its edges were laden with stacks upon stacks of papers, and what looked like a map of Timilma, were pinned to its smooth center. Five plain chairs were neatly positioned around it in an orderly fashion. Me and Neeva booth sank into two of them, both of which were directly next to each other.

Once we were settled in our chairs, I said in a low voice " Well I wouldn't say there's no possible way to use magic on that side of the veil.

Flash Back

Henry bent down towards the corpse's face, and in one quick, precise movement, yanked the knife out of its eye. He took out a lighter from his pocket and flicked it on. He gently placed the knife and held the flame over the small weapon, and examined it in the flickering orange glow. The bloodstained blade caught the light of the tiny flame, and reflected it onto Henry's face, and made him look like a floating disembodied head in the dark.

"This is from the academy," he said slowly, "Aka, the place where Greta was harnessing special elemental's powers so she could then drain them and tear open a portal to the other side."

"Aka, the special elementals who are children that are half of both worlds," I said, reminding him what we had learned from the book we had received from the curious little store I worked at.

"Yes I remember, unlike you, I don't need to reread a fact five times to remember it."

"Hey!" I yelled, and he laughed softly.

"Kidding, you only need to look at it twice," he joked and reached down to pick up the knife, however, when his fingers grazed the crystal ball at the hit it glowed a fiery red and Henry withdrew his hand with a hiss of pain.

"What's wrong!?" I cried and grabbed Henry's hand, which only made him grunt in pain. My fingers meant blistered and charred skin, and I withdrew my hand, all the while apologizing and asking him what had happened.

"I'm okay, and the knife burned me with..."He trailed off.

"With what!?" I asked, "And can we get out of here, and it's going to take us forever to get down this mountain in the dark. Plus we need to get something for your hand and rib, something for my ankle-"

He scratched his head with the hand that wasn't injured, "I think my magic just flared up and burned me."

"What!? How could that be!?" I yelled and covered my hand with my mouth. Shouting wasn't such a good idea right at this moment. If someone heard us and came up here to investigate the noise we were making, they would find a boy and a girl, a bloody knife with both our fingerprints on it and a very very dead body. It's not hard to guess what they might think if they found that, it would actually be strange if they didn't.