♧Chapter 3

Emily^

It was official. I was the most interesting girl in the entire school. Let me rephrase that, the most interesting girl in the entire school for the day and thank the gods for that.

It seemed that my fainting incident had been the two scoops of vanilla ice cream, and me airing out Conner and Bridget's dirty laundry for everyone to see had been the cherry on top. Bridget and Glenith's throw down later that day at lunch well that was the sprinkles and all the other toppings. Now all that was left to do was eat my ice cream sundae, and wait for the heat wave to pass, and by that, I mean something more interesting to come along.

By the end of the day, I had ten notes passed to me during class, and at least fifteen people that I've never said a word to in my entire life trying to start a conversation with me.

I had never been happier in my entire life to see Emily's little yellow house, my home away from home. When we walked in, the house was a complete mess, like usual, but that was how I liked homes to be, lived in.

I could see her family in every unmade bed, and each article of clothing strewn all over the place.

Within all this mess and disorder lived my happiest memories, and also something else I've been craving, normalcy. It was normal for me to come over on a Friday after school, and not leave until Sunday night.

It had become sort of a tradition after Emily's mom found out how my mom liked to have adult sleepovers on the weekend. Don't ask me how she knew, but she did.

Anyways she told my mom nicely that I shouldn't be exposed to that sort of thing, and offered to let me stay at their house. Well, at least that's the story, via Emily's oldest sister Kami.

When we entered Emily's room the first thing we did was to strip out of our uniforms and into some of Emily's "slob clothes," because what we had planned was sure to ruin any cute clothes.

My outfit consisted of a pumpkin orange sweater with a hole on the side and a pair of sweat pants with little white bunnies on it. Emily's outfit was a faded blue sweatshirt and a pair of paint stained black leggings.

By the time we had finished, it was dark outside. Emily's mom was in their kitchen when we came out of Emily's room. She shook her head in disapproval when she saw us heading for the front door.

"Girls where are you going?" she called out to us from the kitchen. The air was thick with the delicious smell of dinner.

"Unicorn hunting," Emily said and gave her mom a wicked smile. "Don't bother waiting for us for dinner. We will just heat up the leftovers when we get back."

This only made Emily's mother shake her head even more in disapproval.

"It can wait until tomorrow morning."

"Mom unicorns are more active at night, the chances us seeing one is like less than one percent during the day!"

"Emily, there are no unicorns around here anymore anyways." her mom said clearly starting to get annoyed.

"Not true, Violet saw one."

Emily's mom looked to me, and I validated Emily's claim with a nod of my head. I didn't mention how I saw it in the morning because that would drive Emily's mom point home that we should wait until tomorrow morning, and that would just get Emily mad at me.

"It's too dark and..." Her mom trailed off.

"Mom I'm sixteen, and if something happens, which nothing is going to happen, I can defend Violet and I. Dad taught me how."