Chapter Thirty Shoulders

(Paisley's POV) (Late August 2010)

I woke up to the sound of Dixie's mum crying. Over these past few months, Dixie got worse. Doctors are always by her side. She can't get out of bed. She is really weak. She is losing herself. She knows it too. I try to spend as much time as I can now with her. She has so much medical gear set up on or next to her. She isn't going to make it, but I want her to. "Hey hey, you'll be fine. You'll fight through it all," her mum said and left the room with me in there.

"Why me?" she asked herself.

"I don't know," I said sitting down next to her. She put her head on my shoulder, and I stroked her hair.

"Paisley?"

"Hm?"

"Will you promise me something?"

"Anything."

"Sing," tears started to come from my face, "I love you Paisley, I'll watch over you. See you soon." Then she lowered her head down to her pillow. Frozen. Cold. Eyes open. Then it hit me. She was gone. "She was gone" kept going through my head then turned to, "she is gone." I put my fingers over her eye lids, and shut them. Then all of a sudden nurses came rushing in. The pulled me away from her arms, with a struggle. I just wanted to hold her one more time. They wouldn't let me though.

I was finally taken out of her bedroom. I could hear nurses telling my aunt and uncle telling them. My father wasn't home from his job yet. I was put into my room. More like locked in my room. I wanted to just run away from this. I needed to get out of here. I grabbed my phone and went out to the terrace of my bedroom, I started to climb down. About four feet from the ground, I jumped off of the wall, and ran. Clouds started forming, gray, thick clouds. I felt drops of rain falling on me. I just kept running. I heard my uncle calling from a distance, but I was too far for him to see me.

After about ten minutes of sprinting away from the house, I stopped to take my breathe. My phone started to buzz. It was Mason, I ignored it. I didn't want to talk to him. I sat down in the pouring rain, on a bench under a tree. I just sat there. Hair wet, clothes soaked, and a mixture of rain and tears dripping from my face. My phone buzzed again. This time it wasn't Mason, it was Liam. I hesitated to pick up or not, finally, I pressed the green button.

"L-L-Liam?"

"Paisley!"

"Sh-Sh-She's gone Liam! Sh-She's gone!" I shouted into the phone. I was shaking.

"I know."

"I-I-I don't know what to do." I was breathing heavily.

"Calm down Paisley. We are coming in tomorrow, your father gave us boys a call."

"O-Okay."

"Just breathe, we'll be there soon."

"W-When?"

"Early morning."

"T-Time?"

"Three-hundred your time."

"W-Wake me up w-when you boys g-get here."

"I will." As he was about to hang up the phone I told him to wait. Luckily, he did. "Yes Love?" he asked.

"Before she died, she told me something."

"What?"

"To sing Liam." He was silent.

"Oh."

"I have to."

"You need to." This time I was the silent one. "You really do Pais. I have to get packed. I will see you soon. And hey, if you won't listen to me, listen to her." Then he hung up the phone. I knew now, singing is in me.

I jut sat there for a while. I never even got to sing to her. I already miss her. I moved to sit on the ground. I didn't know what else to do. So I'm singing to her now. The song by her favorite band, and her best friends. "What Makes You Beautiful." It was hard, I was singing a slower version of it. I was crying. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my entire life.

I was done. The rain was still pouring down. I just sat there. Singing every song I knew. It started to get dark, but I didn't care. I just sat there. Nobody came looking for me. Either my phone broke from water damage, or it died. I still didn't leave. The rain stopped sometime in the middle of the night. I was starting to get cold.

I tried to turn on my phone, luckily I just hit the power button for too long on accident. I looked at the time it said 4:13 A.M. Then all of the messages came in. Dad, Aunty, Uncle, Mum, Louis, Zayn, Harry, Sophie, Jess, Quinn, Niall, Mason, and Liam. Family asked what time I'm coming back, girls asked if I was okay, Mason said to calm down and take my time, the boys asked where I was. Apparently all of the boys are looking for me. I just replied to one person. Liam. I said: Under the big tree two miles out from the backyard next to the bench.

About a minute later, my phone buzzed from Liam saying: I see it, I'll be there!

I sat there and waited. I crouched my knees into my chest, wrapped my arms around them, and buried my face into them. I started singing again, "What Makes You Beautiful," but about a minute later I was interrupted by footsteps. I looked up. He was standing there. I think he was even crying a little. I stood up and ran into his arms. Then I said to him, "She's gone. She's gone. She's gone. She's gone."

He stroked my hair, "I know," he paused for a second, "I know." He hugged me real tight. I was warm after sitting in the rain for hours.

He finally let me go after about three minutes. "Come on, lets get you cleaned up." We walked back to the house. I showed him my room, he found the bathroom, and grabbed a towel. Then went into my closet, and brought me out some dry clothes, pushed me into the bathroom, and closed the door. I took a warm shower. I was brushing my hair when I heard somebody talking to Liam out the door. It was Niall. I quickly put my clothes on, and put my ear up to the door. I heard the conversation perfectly.

"Liam, what are you going to do?"

"I don't know."

"How is she?"

"Hurt."

"Anything else?"

"Ready."

"What?"

"Before she passed, Dixie told her to sing."

"What!?"

"Paisley finally found out that it is for her. She finally found out that it's in her, she needed somebody to tell her, somebody that she would listen to. Paisley won't just sing because she knows that it's in her, she will sing for Dixie."

"And?"

"She is just, well," he stopped from a door opening again. I figured I should come out now. I opened the door, was everybody looking at me. My eyes were red, from all of the crying, and hair still wet. Harry, Niall, Zayn, Louis, and Liam were all standing there. I needed an excuse to get them all out.

"I need to get some sleep." They all simply nodded, and left. I went into bed, and quickly fell asleep.

Waking up wasn't so nice. "DIXIE!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. My door quickly opened, and I saw Liam come running in, straight to me. He grabbed me. "Shhhh, everything's okay, shhhh." He said rubbing my back.

"N-No, it's not."

"Yes it is."

"I can't live without her."

"It's going to be hard."

"It already is."

"Well, I'm here for you."

"I know. I just need to see her one more time."

"It'll be okay," he said, then kissed my forehead. I was crying again. I looked at the clock, and it's only been three hours since I fell asleep. Soon enough, I was resting my head on his shoulder, and fell back asleep.

Vote & Comment