when you are down i will be there (part 1)

OCTOBER 2015

TAYLOR POV

As had become a habit over the course of the last 5 or so months, whenever I had a show and Adam wasn't there he would call me just before I had to go on stage, and then again after the show, and usually when he'd wake up, and after soundcheck which was about lunchtime.....basically we talk and facetime a lot when we are apart.

Right now it was almost time for soundcheck. We like to get these out of the way early on so that fans waiting outside were still surprised by what song I played or any special guests. Adam had had a show last night and hadn't gotten home till about 3am so probably wasn't awake yet, especially with the time difference between the east and west coasts. I was slightly glad he hadn't called yet because I had woken up with a sore throat and runny nose. I felt a cold coming on yesterday but thought I could fight it....but unfortunately, overnight it took a firm hold of my immune system and now I was hoarse and sneezing like mad. Adam would be worried about me, hating it when I was ill and not at home, so I was determined he wouldn't find out.

"Ready for soundcheck?" Amos, my bass player, asked

"Uhh....yeah that's fine." I said, not sounding great.

"Are you sure? We can he someone else to soundcheck for you? You probably shouldn't be singing or talking right now....like if you want to be able to at the show...." He continued as we walked towards the stage.

"It's just a little *sneeze* cold....I think." I reply, mustering the best smile I can.

"Guys! Taylor's sick." Amos announced as we got onto stage. I glared at him.

My backup singers crowded around me and told me in no uncertain terms I was not to speak from now till the show and no way was I soundchecking. This was echoed by the whole band and a lot of our full time crew. I just shrugged my shoulders pouting slightly and went to sit just off stage to watch the rest of them soundcheck. I was glad to have my tour family around me, telling me to take it easy, acting as shoulders to cry on when it just got too much, and generally keeping each other going throughout our crazy schedule.

When soundcheck was over I made my way back to my dressing room and made a cup of tea to hopefully soothe my throat and get rid of any congestion. Just as I sat down I heard my phone start ringing. It was Adam.

I blew my nose quickly and took a deep breath before answering the phone.

"Hey Adam!" I said tying to keep my voice founding normal and strong.

"Hey babe! How are you? How was soundcheck?" He asked, I could hear him smiling.

"I'm good.....miss you though.....soundcheck went fine.....same old I guess...." I replied. We hadn't seen each other in just over a week, which felt like a lifetime especially now that I wasn't 100%.

"Are you really OK? You sound a little down Tay...." He said, concern evident in his voice.

"Promise" I reply, trying to suppress a sneeze and failing, but hoping Adam didn't hear, "I think I have to go soon....there was an issue with a couple of costume changes last night that we wanted to sort out." I made up an excuse because my throat was burning from talking too much and forcing it out.

"Okay babe.....well I will talk to you later before you go on. OK?" He said.

"Can't wait! Bye Adam, love you!" I reply

"Bye love!" He replied.

As soon as I hung up the phone I had a coughing fit. It felt like I was coughing up a lung or something, and was loud enough that my door was thrown open and a few people came in to see if I was OK. I took a sip of tea and assured them I was fine before laying down on the little sofa to take a nap.