Our Song

TAYLOR POV

It was always the plan.... ever since the concert was announced, ever since he decided to release the song. I would play the song and shock everyone, or at least surprise them as my fans caught on quickly to my involvement with the song.

But plans change, people change. I started to wonder whether I could still do it. I knew the media would go ballistic and probably accuse me of being calculating and vengeful, but I just wanted to play something new for my fans.

I decided the best plan of action was to ask him. We hadn't been in touch much at all until recently when he sent me a message basically saying he was sorry for his outburst and that we should probably at least be civil towards each other as we were bound to see one and other at events or even at friends' parties as we had many mutual friends now. It only took me a few minutes to reply and agree wholeheartedly to everything. I also apologised for making him feel blindsided. Since then we had gotten back to sending each other funny pictures and messages, not as much as when we were dating but as much as I would with any friend of mine.

I took a deep breath as I pressed his contact picture on my phone to call him. It was a conversation I'd rather have by phone rather than through messages.

"Uh, hello?" I heard as the phone was answered.

"Hi! It's me." I said, trying not to let my nerves show in my voice.

"Hi! I thought maybe it was a pocket call.... Um, good to hear your voice instead of just reading messages." He said, making me smile and feel slightly relieved.

"Yeah, I thought I'd give you a call...um.... Actually, I have a question..." I said, getting right to the point as I could feel the awkwardness already.

"Uh, yeah? Go for it." He said, sounded slightly distracted or worried.

"Well...umm.... I wanted to play 'This Is What You Came For' at the F1 concert next week but wanted to ask you first." I said really quickly, without taking a breath.

"Oh!" He said, "Well that was the idea all along, wasn't it? And you did write the lyrics and stuff first....so I don't see why not...."

"Are you sure?" I ask skeptically.

"Yeah, sure. You'll do it on piano, right? Like the demo?" He asked

"Um, that was the plan, yeah... but I mean, it is kind of your song..." I said, wanting to give him any outs possible.

"No Tay, it's our song. The music and production are mine, but the rest is all you." He said, and I could hear the smirk in his voice as he said 'our song'.

I smiled at this. Maybe this whole friends thing could work out.

"Okay... well I'll let you get on with your day." I said.

"Well, um, thanks for calling to ask. I really appreciate it." He replied.

"Yeah, no problem.... have a good week." I said, sort of not wanting to get off the phone.

"Thanks... you too. Good luck with the concert and stuff. Bye Tay." He said.

"Bye Ads." I said before hanging up.

A week later

I had almost forgotten what a rush you get from performing live for a huge crowd! I was on a high at the end of the concert. Even though I had a cold and had been feeling pretty awful for a couple of days, I felt on the top of the world now. 80,000 people singing back my lyrics to me.... I would treasure that for the rest of my life.

I had performed TIWYCF and the crowd went wild, singing along to the whole thing. I knew it was a good idea, no matter what lash back I got from fans or the media.

As I was getting on the plane to head back to Nashville for the night I felt my phone buzz. I saw a bunch of messages. One stood out to me. It was from Adam. I took a deep breath and opened it.

"Congrats on the concert. You did our song justice. Hope you feel better soon! Adam"

I smiled. He had followed the concert and obviously seen one of the fan videos of the song.

"Thanks! The fans made me feel better already and I really enjoyed performing the song! Are you around LA this week? Taylor"

I barely thought about what I had written until it was sent.... Oh, well.... We'll just have to see where it takes us.... You never know.