Lost and Found

"Explain again why we are in Central Park at half past midnight in the middle of December?" Adam asked Taylor as they walked down a path through the park.

"Because a) it's so beautiful with all the snow, b ) I missed the cold weirdly enough, and c) late at night is the only time I can walk around the park without being trampled by fans." Taylor explained again.

Taylor had been back from her tour for a little over a week and Adam was leaving the next day to go to visit his parents in Scotland, while Taylor headed off to Nashville to spend little bit of time with her family, until Christmas which they were spending together with friends back in New York.

"It's so quiet...." Taylor murmured as they walked.

"Yeah it's nice.... Let's go on the swings over there!" Adam said suddenly, spotting the playground at the end of the path.

Adam and Taylor were both kids at heart really, so swings and floaties and nerf gun fights were regular occurrences in their lives together.

"Race you to the swings!" Taylor said, rushing off towards the playground and getting a head start.

Adam easily caught up with her and even passed her when she suddenly stopped. When he reached the swings he realised she wasn't behind him and turned around to see her crouching next to the end of the tunnel slide. He assumed there was a stray cat or something and walked back over chuckling to himself.

His laughter stopped, however, when he saw something that surprised him. He crouched down next to Taylor as she spoke gently.

"Hey little one.... It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you.... Are you cold?" Taylor said towards the tunnel.

Adam looked up the tunnel to see the outline of a person inside it. The light wasn't great in the park since it was late at night so he pulled out his phone and turned on the flashlight app, pointing the light away from the tunnel but still illuminating it enough.

Inside the tunnel was a small girl, probably not older than about 5, with her arms wrapped around her legs as she sat in the bottom section of the tunnel part of the slide. She was wearing a snow jacket with jeans and snow boots, but was shivering and tears were forming in her eyes.

"Do you want to come out of the tunnel sweetie?" Taylor asked gently.

Adam shrugged off his jacket, leaving him in his sweatshirt, and handed it to Taylor, who smiled at him gratefully.

"Look sweetie, you can wear my friend Adam's jacket to warm up." Taylor told the little girl, who looked back with wide and sceptical eyes.

She slowly moved down the tunnel using her feet to drag herself along until she reached the end of the slide. Taylor held out the coat for her, but instead the little girl held out her arms for Taylor to put it on her. It drowned her slightly, making her smile, but would at least warm her up a little.

"Hi.... I'm Taylor and this is Adam." Taylor introduced us, still crouched down and smiling at the little girl, "What's your name?"

"M...Maddie..." The tiniest little voice said.

"Hey Maddie.... Why are you in the park this late? Shouldn't you be at home?" Taylor asked her gently, sitting next to the little girl on the end of the cold metal slide.

"Mommy said to wait here....so I am." Maddie replied sadly.

"When did your mommy tell you that?" Adam asked her quietly, trying to not scare her with his deep voice.

"When the sun was shining." Maddie replied, indicating she'd been here for a while since sunset was quite early these days.

"Do you want us to help you find your mommy?" Taylor asked.