Crazy ever after

TAYLOR POV

It had been going on for almost half an hour, and was starting to worry about how safe I was. I kept looking around the room we were in and figuring out exit strategies. I was trapped. He was pacing back and forth between me and the only door.... back and forth, and back and forth, with one hand constantly running through his hair and his nostrils flared as he unpicked everything- and I meant literally everything- that had somehow gone wrong in the last 16 hours.

It started yesterday morning with a phone call. I could tell it had made him tense as his whole face went stony and he slowly – oh so glacially slowly- stood up from his bar stool as he ate his breakfast and left the room. I heard the front door open and close, then his car starting up. I had no idea who had been on the phone or what it was about, but it must have been urgent as he didn't even utter one word to me as he left.

As the day went on I started to wonder what had happened to him. None of his friends came over, I didn't get any phone calls or messages from him, I had no clue where he was or what he was doing. I tried to keep my mind off it all, he was a grown up after all and he could sort out whatever might be the issue without me butting in. I went to the gym and then baked cookies, hoping that he was in a better mood when he returned or that the cookies would help in some way. I contemplated going back to my house, but decided that he would probably expect me to be here when he got back.

I tried texting him, I tried calling him, I tried contacting his friends and work colleagues.... But I got no reply. That was until nearly midnight – almost 14 hours after he first left the house – when I finally got some idea of where he was. It was simple message, from a friend's number, just saying he would be home soon. That's all.

I decided to watch TV and must have fallen asleep in the living room waiting up for him as the next thing I knew the front door was being thrown open with an almighty bang and he started crashing around the kitchen. The only way I knew it was him was the extremely pronounced Scottish accent as he swore to high heavens. I crept towards the kitchen and then rushed forward when I saw him grasping his hand that was bleeding, with a broken glass sitting on the counter. It didn't look like it had fallen, more like he had crushed it in his hand.

"Adam! Oh my goodness!" I gasped, grabbing a tea towel and trying to take a look at his hand. He pulled it away, shaking it slightly and sending small droplets of blood over his white kitchen cabinets.

"Stay away from me." He said, a combination of pain and deep anger evident in his eyes as they glared at me, shooting burning daggers into my soul.

I couldn't help but cower away slightly, moving backwards until I was sitting on the bench of the breakfast nook. That's when the pacing started. And the ranting. And the expletives. And that's when I became trapped, with and extremely angry, and frankly terrifying, Adam standing between me and my only way out of here if anything happened. I moved backwards, so at least I had the table between us, and tried to assess the situation.

The only things I could pick up so far were that Adam was angry. VERY angry. More so than I had ever seen him in the year we had been together. Sure we had fights, sure we would both get angry about things, but it was always resolvable, always a situation that was quite easily handled. This was the opposite. I also figured out that it had to do with work, but he was barely making any sense as he ranted about it, and his accent always got 5 times thicker when he got angry, so it made the task of understanding him 10 times harder for me.

I put all my attention into listening to him and his ranting, trying to pick out what it was about in order to maybe help, or at least de-escalate his anger slightly.