TWO

A/N: this is a random one shot that I wrote in a moment of temporary freedom from essays and life.I didn't read over it so I don't know if it's good or makes any sense whatsoever.... Anyways..... xo

I just had to tell myself to keep breathing. I told myself it wasn't going to be as bad as I was making it out to be. It was all in my head.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I made my way in to rehearse. It was the first time I was going to be performing the song live and I wanted it to go well. I didn't want to let everyone down. But it was just the place, the event, the memories....

I stood up straight and walked confidently to the side of the stage. Well, at least I thought I looked confident.

"You okay there, T?" Zayn asked, looking at me weirdly as I got closer to him and the floor producer for the show.

"Yeah, totally fine." I replied, plastering a smile on my face as he looked at me, not at all convinced. I knew Gigi would have mentioned something to him. All my friends knew why I had been hesitant to accept the invitation to perform tonight, without me even telling them they knew.

We rehearsed the song all the way through twice. It sounded great, making me smile for real this time and momentarily forget all my worries. Until I heard a small gasp behind me, that is.

I recognised it. I had heard the same person gasp hundreds of times, mainly dramatically as a joke. Again, I plastered a smile on my face, turning around and looking down slightly as I was in sky high heels.

"Taytay!" Charlie Tadman said hesitantly.

"Hi Charlie.... Um.... Long-time no see." I said, not quite knowing how to greet your fairly-recent-ex-boyfriend-and-constant-feature-in-your-dream's best friend and colleague. I saw him visibly relax as I spoke, obviously also unsure about the whole situation.

"Yeah! Um, how's life?" He asked, making small talk in an effort to make the situation less awkward.

"Not too bad.... New music here and there.... No definite plans for an album anytime soon.... Just enjoying doing different bits and pieces." I said, shrugging. "Congratulations on the wedding, by the way!"

"Thanks! I made a beautiful groom!" He said, wiggling his eyebrows and making me laugh at his dramatics.

We lapsed into silence for a few minutes before Charlie suddenly perked up and said the one thing I was hoping wouldn't come up.

"It's weird to be back here. This is where I first met you!" He said, "Where the sparks.... Sorry, my big mouth getting me in a mess again."

He must have noticed the brief drop in my smile.

"No, it's fine. It's true...." I said, shrugging again and smiling at him, ignoring the pain in my chest.

"Um, well.... I should go.... Got to, um, get ready for tonight. Good luck!" He said, looking at his phone as it vibrated and giving me a wave as he strode off again.

I immediately felt all the energy drain out of me and sat down on a chair, laying my head down on top of my folded arms on the table in front of me.

Why did I agree to this again? Oh yeah, to sell more copies of the track and 'keep myself in the spotlight'. As if I needed anymore spotlight.

Normally seeing my exes at events didn't really phase me. I always had friends around and carefully planned routes to and from places. Usually, though, I hadn't first spent time with said ex at the same event I was at again.... And usually I hadn't had my heart torn out by them on social media.