Stay (part 1 of 2)

Based on a request from tumblr... sort of based on 'If I Stay'

TAYLOR POV

Adam an I had decided to spend some time in Rhode Island after New Year's this year. I didn't have any major appearances in the next month or so and he had booked the month off, apart from doing bits of work from home. We just wanted to be away from it all.

I had just gone down to New York for a day to discuss my upcoming appearance at the Grammy awards and was on my way back to see Adam. It was his birthday in a 5 days time and I wanted to spend it with him.

It was cold out and had been snowing quite heavily recently so we were going pretty slowly. It was just me and my driver for the few hours and I was just staring out the window and listening to music to pass the time till we got there. Based on the landmarks I had spotted through the snow we were about 30 minutes from the house.

Suddenly I felt the car swerve and then everything went bright white. That brilliant and blinding light you see when you look into a spotlight.

ADAM POV

I was currently kneeling in the living room and trying to get a fire started in the fireplace, while the cats wandered back and forth over my legs.

Taylor had texted me about 45 minutes ago to say they were an hour away from the house and I decided to get the fire going so she was welcomed back into a warm house. I had also cooked a stew for this evening and had everything out to make hot chocolate with marshmallows and cream as soon as she got in. Even though she had only been gone for 24 hours I missed her greatly.

After trying for just over 20 minutes the fire finally started burning making me smile proudly.

"See Dibbles, I can do it!" I told Olivia as I picked her up and put the fire guard up so they didn't set themselves on fire.

I looked up at the clock and noticed that Taylor should have been back about 5 minutes ago. I didn't worry much though as the weather had been bad recently and a lot of the roads were blocked at the moment.

Another 20 minutes past and I had tried calling Taylor twice with no success. I assumed the signal was just down because of the weather, but then my phone started to ring and Taylor's parents number came up. I got a feeling of dread in my stomach.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Adam, darling..." Andrea started speaking, suddenly stopping and I could hear sobs starting.

"Adam, it's Scott. Taylor's car got in an accident and she's been taken to the hospital..." Scott said.

As soon as I heard accident and hospital I was getting my shoes on. If Taylor was hurt I had to be there, especially as her parents were so far away and the airports were closed.

TAYLOR POV

I opened my eyes and watched a scene right out of Grey's Anatomy in front of me. There were doctors everywhere and they were talking quickly, all grouped around a patient.

What was I doing in a hospital?

I tried asking people around me but nobody seemed to hear me talking or see me. I wandered over to the group of doctors and looked over.

That's when it hit me. The patient on the table was me. I was watching myself being intubated and ventilated. I backed away, not quite sure what was going on.

"Can you help me? My girlfriend was brought in and I need to find her.... It's Taylor Swift?" I heard a familiar Scottish accent asked breathlessly behind me at the ER reception desk.