Sticky Summer

ADAM POV

"It's so stinking hot!" Taylor complained from the other side of the bed.

She was as far away from me as possible despite the fact the fans were on and neither of us had more than our underwear on.

"Remind me again why we thought it was a good idea to come here for the summer despite the fact the air conditioning was broken?" She asked, looking over at me with an exhausted and uncomfortable look on her face.

"Because it's the summer and we needed a break from LA.... We just didn't realise that it would end up being the hottest summer on record." I replied.

We were in Rhode Island for the month of August, having decided to take a break from LA and getting photographed every single moment of every day. I had just finished promo for a new single and Taylor's new album was almost ready to be released, so we had a little calm before the storm. Here we barely ever got photographed and we had a pool and loads of space to hang around.

"Well.... don't come any closer to me, mister. Thank god we have a superking-sized bed!" Taylor said, stretching her arms out and lying straight on her back, exposing the most flesh possible for the fan to cool.

I chuckled and moved over to my side, letting her stretch out, closing my eyes to try and get at least a few hours' rest.

My few hours' sleep was cut short by whimpers being heard in the room. Taylor groaned.

"I'm up, babe, try to sleep. He probably just needs changing." I told her, getting up and turning off the little monitor on the bedside table as I walked over to the door and left the room.

I walked down the hall and opened the next door along.

"Hey little buddy! Are you a little uncomfortable?" I asked the little wiggling baby lying in the crib in only his diaper, looking up at me with wide eyes filled with tears. I learned in and lifted him up, quickly realising that his diaper was soaked through. "Ah.... okay. Let's get you changed little man and then we will try to cool off a little. We have to be quiet so we don't wake mommy and Ali."

I quickly got to work changing him before sitting with him in the rocking chair, turning the fan to face us directly. He fell back asleep very quickly, gurgling the whole time, having been worn out by long days playing and the heat.

"Night little caterpillar..... see you in the morning!" I whispered, giving him a light kiss on the forehead and placing him back in his crib before leaving the room.

That was an extra added issue with the heat. We had two kids and the heat made them very uncomfortable and quite grumpy sometimes. The days were filled with us all going in the pool, drinking cold drinks, running through the sprinklers, eating ice cream, and wearing little to no clothing apart from swimsuits.

"Was he okay?" Taylor asked as I lay back down, still as far as possible away from her.

"Yeah, he was fine. Just wet and uncomfortable so I changed him and he fell asleep again." I told her, "Now go back to sleep. Ali will be up in a few hours."

TAYLOR POV

Trying to sleep in humid heat was almost as bad as trying to sleep when I was heavily pregnant. Uncomfortable to the extreme with no position being comfortable for more than a few minutes. But tossing and turning made it worse. I kept having to get up because Danny was hungry or uncomfortable in the heat, meaning I got little sleep during the night and little down time during the day.

Finally, I felt cool enough to fall asleep and go a few hours of shut eye before our firecracker of a 3-year-old came rushing in to our room.

"MOMMY!" She said, poking my arm. We kept our bedroom door open most of the time so she could easily get in and out since otherwise she would bash into the door and hurt herself trying to open it (leading to bruised heads and shoulders and stubbed toes and fingers).

"Morning Ali-cat." I said lazily, opening my eyes to find her standing right next to me in just her underpants since it was so hot. As soon as my eyes were open she smiled, satisfied with herself, then ran around the other side of the bed.

Just as she was about to poke her dad as well (not realising that he was probably already awake), Adam sat up and grabbed her, pulling her onto the bed and tickling her, making her squeal and laugh.

"Stop daddy! Too hot!" She said as she realised it was actually not fun to be tickled.

"Okay little monkey." Adam agreed, letting her sit on his chest.

"I'm hungry!" She said.

"Well then let's go and grab the caterpillar and go get us some breakfast and let mommy sleep a little more." Adam said looking over at me and winking as I smiled weakly, "Maybe we can even have nana cream for breakfast..." He whispered conspiratorially to Ali, making her giggle.

Blended frozen bananas (aka nana-nice-cream) was a new favourite since it was cold and in theory healthy. Ali loved it morning, noon and night.

"Thanks!" I said sleepily as Ali twirled around near the door and Adam grabbed a t-shirt and made his way to join her.

"No problem. Hope you can sleep a little more!" Adam said, smiling at me as he left the room, closing the door behind himself.

I slept for about an hour longer before I got fidgety enough to get up and go downstairs.

"Morning sleepy head. The forecast says there will be a storm this afternoon and the heat will break....so only a little longer!" Adam said, greeting me with a glass of smoothie and a kiss.

"Thank god! I was about to say we should just head home where at least it's cool inside!" I told him, having seriously been weighing up the annoyingness of the paparazzi versus the boiling temperatures. "Where are the little munchkins?"

"They should be on the sofa.... I put some TV on for them after Ali finished breakfast. Haven't heard a peep since then." Adam said shrugging slightly, but with a glint in his eyes saying that he had been in there with them working on his laptop until he heard me coming downstairs.

"Did you feed Danny?" I asked.

"Yeah. There was the last bottle from yesterday in the fridge." He said, wrapping his arms around me from behind as I walked towards the living room. Despite the heat I didn't stop him from holding onto me, gaining comfort from it.

I nodded as we walked in. There in front of me was the cutest sight.

Ali was sitting on the sofa in her underpants with Danny in just his diaper lying on top of her. She had one little arm around his back as he dosed and she watched TV.

"We have the cutest little kids don't we." Adam whispered in my ear so we didn't disturb them.

"Until they start whining...." I said, sliding out of his arms and sitting next to Ali, who looked up at me and smiled before going back to her show, holding onto her little brother the whole time.

" I said, sliding out of his arms and sitting next to Ali, who looked up at me and smiled before going back to her show, holding onto her little brother the whole time