Our Song part 4

TAYLOR POV

"Taylor? Earth to Taylor?" Karlie said to me as we facetimed, she from a photoshoot and I from my living room in NYC.

I looked up from my phone, a smile on my face.

"Huh? Did you say something? Sorry..." I said, having gotten distracted by a message.

"I asked what you were up to his weekend." Karlie said, looking at me strangely, "But obviously, whatever is on your phone is far more interesting.... Please tell me it's not another cat video?"

"No, it's not. It was just, um... my mom sent something funny?" I said, trying to come up with a valid reason for zoning out on my friend.

"Hm, yeah sure. Whatever. Anyway a few of us girls are getting together for a movie night at Gigi's. We didn't see you at Christmas and then you were sick over New Year's, then in LA for meetings.... So PLEASE come!!" Karlie said, getting up from the sofa, "I've got to go now, but I'll see you tonight?"

"Yeah, sure! Promise I'll be there." I said, adding "Sorry I've been a little all over the place."

"It's fine. I just miss spending time together! It's almost mid- January and we haven't seen each other since before your birthday!!" She said, with a big smile as we both waved and hung up.

The last couple of weeks had been a weird whirlwind and none of my friends knew what was actually going on. It was like I was a secret agent or something.

It all started when Adam came over with his niece and nephew at the end of December. The morning after they came over, after they all stayed the night, Adam took the kids to the airport to fly home, but he immediately came back to my apartment. We spent two days just catching up properly on everything we had missed over the previous 7 months. Then Adam had to go to Vegas for NYE. I so badly wanted to go with him, but knew I couldn't, I didn't want to go out in public together just yet. We needed to get over all the hurdles that broke us up in the first place, one of which being publicity. I feigned being ill to get out of my friends' parties and went to Vegas, but stayed in Adam's room he had been given at the hotel while he was performing. We celebrated New Years a little after 2am when he finally made it back upstairs. The next week and a half were spent in LA. I had a couple of meetings anyways and it meant I could spend time with Adam. I had finally come back to NYC a day ago, on the 10th of January, but only for a week as it was almost Adam's birthday. My security guards had been awesome with all the weirdness of the last couple of weeks, not making any comments or making a big deal over last minute changes of plans. They all trusted Adam, so really got to have a bit of a break while I was in LA.

My friends didn't have a clue about what was really going on-or at least I didn't think they did at this point- and I liked it that way. They all knew we were back in touch, but everything else was our little secret. My mom didn't even really know the details of it all!

I replied to Adam's message I had received while talking to Karlie and then made my way upstairs to get changed and figure out what to take to Gigi's later on.

At Gigi's

"Tay! Long-time girl!" Martha said as she spotted Taylor walk through the door.

"Hey Martha! I know right! Everything has been hectic recently!" I replied, giving her a hug carefully so I didn't drop the tray of cookies I had brought with me.

"Yeah, you've been here there and everywhere!" Gigi said.

"A little bit... so how were everyone's Christmases and New Year's?" I asked, settling down and listening to all my friends talk.

The evening was going really well, until I made a mistake. I left my phone on the coffee table while I went to the bathroom, not expecting anything to come of it. No one usually calls or texts me at night unless it's urgent. As soon as I got back to the living room all eyes were on me.

"What's going on?" I asked them, quite confused.

"Maybe you should tell us?" Karlie said, raising her eyebrow at me and holding my phone up.

I must have looked even more confused as Gigi started to explain.

"Your phone started playing a certain song written with a certain ex of yours, and when we looked over, guess who had texted you? Why yes, that same certain ex!" Gigi said, smirking at me slightly, "And it wasn't just a friendly 'hello' message, oh no no no, this was more than that. Karlie, please do the honours."

"Ahem. 'Babe what did you do with the clean towels? Miss you'" Karlie said in her best Scottish accent.

I blushed furiously. And then felt a little annoyed. My friends had read my messages?

"I will explain, but first do you care to tell me how you read that message? Slight invasion of privacy there." I said, crossing my arms over my chest and staring at them.

"Tay, you have it set to display the message on the lock screen." Karlie said with a slight eye roll.

This had gotten me in some weird situations before and she kept telling me to change it but I never did. So really this was my fault. I blushed again.

"So...." Gigi said as they all looked at me in anticipation.

I sat back down on the sofa and took a gulp of wine before getting down to it.

"Okay. Adam and I are sort of back together." I said.

"When? How? Explain!" Martha said as everyone else nodded.

"Um... we've been back in proper contact since October, he came over at the end of December and the metaphorical dam broke.... We spent NYE together and basically any time I wasn't in meetings in LA I was at his.... And I'm going back over for his birthday next week... And we might go to the Grammys together.... And I'm really happy....... please don't make a huge deal over this!" I say, barely taking a breath.

It was silent and really still for a minute and then they all started squealing and hugging me.

"This is like a fairy-tale story or something!" Gigi said, making me smile.

"Woah! I didn't think you guys were such big fans." I said sarcastically.

"He's the one who texted you earlier, isn't he?" Karlie asked, smirking slightly.

"Yeah...." I admitted, looking down slightly.

"I KNEW it wasn't your mom!" She said, poking me gently in the side.

ADAM POV

I was lounging on my sofa when my phone started to blow up with messages. I looked over and smiled slightly. All the messages were from Taylor's friends and they involved a lot of exclamation marks.

I saw one message from Taylor and decided to open that first. It read 'Sorry. The girls saw message and I had to tell them. Miss you too! T xxxx'. It made me smile. I didn't mind that her friends knew. Truthfully I wanted the world to know. I wanted everyone to know how happy I was. But we had both agreed that keeping things to ourselves was best just now. My friends had an inkling something was up as the food got a lot better in the house for the week Taylor was here, but they hadn't said anything much.

I saw most of the messages from the girls were just saying they were glad we sorted things out and they looked forward to seeing me soon. Karlie's message made me stop and my eyes widen.

'So when is that giant ring going to make its way to my best friend's finger? Austin told me ;)'

Before the whole break up disaster of 2015, I had asked Scott and Andrea if they would allow me to one day propose to Taylor. They had both given me their blessing, and apparently, despite my plea to keep it to themselves, had told Austin. Karlie's message triggered me to go upstairs and find the ring I had bought. I had planned to propose at Taylor's 4th July party. I knew it was soon, but I knew it was what I wanted.... Unfortunately, my ego got in the way and I talked myself out of it all.

Now I was just sitting on the end of my bed staring at a gorgeous diamond engagement ring as the cogs started turning again in my brain.