Our Song pt 3

TAYLOR POV

It was the 28th of December. I had just returned to New York after spending my birthday and Christmas in Nashville with my family. I'd had a wonderful few days being celebrated by everyone close to me, and subsequently a great festive period with my extended family and friends.....but felt something was missing.

Last year I spent my birthday partly in the air on the way back from my final tour dates and partly with Adam and my parents. It was a great day – a great few weeks as we got some time in private in Colorado soon after. My mind kept flicking back to that, flicking back to the mornings when I would wake up with his arms wrapped around me or the fun we had day after day.

I was thinking about how everything had gone sour not even 5 months later, and how we had recently miraculously gotten back in contact and were actually really good friends again, as I walked into the foyer of my apartment and almost tripped over a large cardboard box. I looked at the box and then looked up to see a few smaller boxes on the entrance hall table. I wondered who they were from. These days I didn't get too many presents, and most of my friends knew I was in Nashville anyways.

I took off my coat and shoes, dumping everything on one of the chairs nearby, before getting a knife to open the main box. Inside was the most glorious bouquet of fresh flowers in a large crystal vase. I could barely lift it out of the box, only just making it to the living room coffee table. In the middle of winter, having a huge splash of colour is necessary, and in this case, it brightened up my day considerably. I couldn't find a tag or card on the box, so the gift giver was still a mystery.

I decided to open the rest of the boxes first, as deep down I am a child when it comes to presents. All the boxes were very well wrapped, showing the person put time and effort into it. I started with the smallest of the three boxes. This contained a snowflake ring and matching earrings. This made me smile as I surprisingly lacked winter jewellery. It was also a clue as to who the gifts were from, as I had only discussed this fact with a few people. The next box contained a gorgeous and ornate cast iron cookbook stand. The final gift solidified my thoughts about who the gifts were from. This one was a print with a soundwave for a song on it. At the bottom, it said ' "Our Song"-TS+ AW- 2015'. It was the soundwave for This Is What You Came For. I started smiling and felt butterflies in my stomach.

Adam had sent me the most perfect presents. He still knew me so well, despite everything that went down this year. Since November we had been in regular contact, sending pictures and weird messages back and forth. We had seen each other a few times, mainly at either my house or his as well as once at a party, and each time I felt the tension between us increase. It was only a matter of time before the metaphorical dam broke, but I was deciding to block that out of my mind and blissfully ignore the possibility of anything between us. These presents didn't help that at all, though.

I pulled my phone out and went to his contact, taking a deep breath before pressing it.

"Hello?" I heard a young voice I didn't quite recognise say.

"Um, hello. I think I have a wrong number." I said, about to apologise.

"Why do you have my phone?" I heard a distinct voice say in the background. That was Adam.

"Uncle Adam....It's your love!" the voice said in a teasing manner, before I heard laughing and the phone obviously being passed over. I furrowed my brow at this comment before smiling in spite of myself.

"Um, hello?" Adam said.

"Hi uncle Adam." I said, jokingly.

"Tay? Is that you?" He said.