Hold on, make it last

Early February 2016

TAYLOR POV

*Hi! Have a good flight. We really need to talk when you get home. A *

This is not the sort of text I like getting right before getting on a 10 hour flight. I had been in Europe for some interviews and writing sessions and was now on my way back to LA. I was spending more time in LA than anywhere else at the moment, partly because a lot of people I was working with were there but mainly because Adam was there. We'd been together for almost a year now and I could definitely see us going the distance. I had daydreams about our future sometimes, although I never admitted it to anyone.

Recently the rumour mill had been churning out false stories in the media about us. They ranged from Adam proposing to me, me being pregnant, Adam cheating on me (weirdly never me cheating on him), us buying houses absolutely everywhere, and me buying cats despite Adam being allergic. According to the media at this point we'd gotten together and broken up about 10 times, gotten engaged over 6 times, had like 5 kids, owned 8 houses.... It was quite tiring really, but we just laughed it off.

So now I was left wondering what we needed to talk about when I got back.... I knew the stories were gaining momentum as the BRITS approached, considering everyone and their mothers believed we had met that night, even though it was the day before, but I didn't think that would bother Adam. But usually he ended his messages with a cute emoji or at least a kiss....and was chattier than he'd been in the last few days. I had just been thinking I might actually walk the red carpet at the BRITS with him, which would be a first for me.....but maybe that was completely wishful thinking on my part.

10 hours of wondering what was going on and getting myself wound out about it.... Was it getting too much for him? Was there something wrong? Was this where it all went down in flames? Had I said something wrong in one of my interviews?

For the first time I had spoken openly about a current relationship, only a little bit, and that made me nervous....Adam had told me he'd be happy for me to talk about him in the same way he spoke about me sometimes in interviews, but I was still nervous.

I was apprehensive about getting off the plane when we got to LA, having been distracting myself with Law and Order episodes for most of the flight, because it meant I was one step closer to this 'talk' he wanted to have.

ADAM POV

I realised Taylor was getting on her flight soon and I had been stuck in the studio for a few days, in the middle of finishing a track, so distractedly sent her a quick message to wish her a good flight and tell her we needed to talk when she got in.

I had an important thing to talk to her about involving the upcoming BRITS awards. I wanted her to walk the carpet with me, which would be a first for her. We'd sat next to each other at the BBMAs and the Grammy's...but had never walked the carpet together.

I was excited to see her, even though it had only been 5 days since she was home. We weren't exactly living together but spent a lot of time and kept spare clothes at each other's houses. The cats were currently staying with me while Taylor was away, and loved the space they had to roam around the house.

I had decided to surprise Taylor at the airport when she got in, since I had finally finished work by then and missed her terribly.

Since it was an international flight she was coming into the commercial terminal, meaning it was slightly more difficult to keep a low profile, but luckily not impossible.

I stood waiting, holding a bunch of her favourite flowers, garnering a little attention but luckily not too much. I saw the doors open and spotted her head bopping along, surrounded by her two bodyguards and Tree, so I walked over to where they were coming out and stood there smiling. Tree noticed me first and smiled, pointing me out to Taylor. As soon as she saw me her face went pale, but she recovered quickly, placing a smile on her face that didn't reach her eyes. I looked at her confused as they approached.

"Hey babe!" I greeted her, opening my arms to wrap around her.

TAYLOR POV

"Taylor, look who's here to collect you!" Tree said, nudging me out of my daze and pointing towards the exit. There stood Adam in all of his 6ft 5inch glory, holding a bouquet of my favourite flowers and grinning his lazy grin which always makes me weak at the knees. But today it just made me sick to my stomach. Why would he be here? What was going on? I quickly plastered a grin on my face.

He greeted me and held out his arms which I went into automatically, partly because I needed it and partly to keep up appearances for the public and paparazzi.

I was more and more confused by all of this....if he was fed up with the attention why would he come to a public place to collect me?

"I just want to go home." I mumbled into his chest pulling away slightly. He chuckled slightly and grabbed my hand starting to walk towards the main doors. I said goodbye to Tree, who just smiled and waved us away. Luckily his car was right outside so we could get in straight away, while my bags were loaded into the boot. I slid over to the far side of the back seats and stared out the window.

"What's wrong love?" Adam asked, concern filling his voice.

"When we get home we'll talk..." I whispered, still staring out the window.

ADAM POV

I felt like I must have done something wrong by the way Taylor was acting....or something was wrong, or had gone wrong while she was away. I wracked my brain for any possible explanation but came up blank.

The journey back to my house was very quiet, despite my efforts to talk to Taylor which were shot down with one word replies.

When we got to the house, Taylor thanked the driver and grabbed one of her bags, while I took the others and went inside.

"Hey Dibbles! Where's Mer?" Taylor asked the younger cat. Her voice was completely different, happy and excited, making me even more worried.

"So.....we're home....."I started, rubbing a hand over the back of my neck.

"Yeah, I guess...."Taylor said, her face dropping again as she looked at her feet, "Umm....let's sit in the living room...I'd rather not talk standing up personally..."

"What's the matter babe?" I asked Taylor as we sat down, with her opting for a chair so we were separated.

"Why don't you tell me? You're the one who wanted to talk." Taylor said, barely looking up at me and wringing her hands together.

So that's what it was.... I had said we needed to talk last night before she got on her flight and she must have thought it was something bad.

"Oh no babe, it's nothing bad!" I exclaimed, making her head pop up and look at me quizzically. I moved over so I was as close as possible to her and took her hands in mine. "I wanted to ask if we could walk the red carpet at the BRITS together, you know, since it was the first time we really spent time together and all...." I continued, sheepishly.

TAYLOR POV

WHAT? He....WHAT?

"Seriously?" I asked, my voice a mix of awe, anger, and joy.

"Umm....yeah." Adam replied.

"Thank god! I thought you were sick of me and all the attention, and wanted to break up or something...Your message sounded off.....and you didn't add an emoji or a kiss at the end..." I started rambling.

Adam smiled at me and kissed both my hands which he was holding, stopping me in the middle of my train of thought.

"So? Red carpet?" He asked, looking hopeful.

"You know I was going to ask you the same thing....you just beat me to it, causing a lot of anxiety I must add....but yes!" I replied, smiling at him.

He chuckled slightly and pulled me out of my chair and down onto his lap.

"I could never get sick of you. I love you Taylor." Adam said.

"I love you too.....sorry for being moody..." I replied, blushing as he smiled his gorgeous smile again.

"Don't worry love, I'm glad we got it all sorted." He replied.

I wrapped my arms around him and leaned on his chest as he lay back, kissing the crown of my head. I was soon asleep, succumbing to my jet lag and the fact I had been so anxious for the last 12 or so hours.