TWO part 2

It felt like we were just staring at each other for hours, but it was probably only a few minutes. I couldn't think of anything to say and obviously neither could he. It was like we were in a weird trance or bubble – just the two of us. I felt myself smiling and was about to thank him properly this time for not letting me fall flat on my face and for getting me some water, but our perfect bubble was broken by one of Adam's industry exec friends coming over to talk to him.

I felt like suddenly the world around me was very loud and everything came back into focus. Adam was distracted and I made the decision that I thought was best for me. I couldn't let myself, in my slightly drunken stupor, to get involved with him again. I told myself it was just the good memories- of this place, of that first night, of us – clouding my brain. I stood up while the two men were still talking and walked across the room, squeezing past everyone else who was pretty drunk and enjoying the party, to get to the entrance.

"I'm ready to go." I told my security guard, who was waiting there for me.

"Okay, let's go then." He said with a smile, holding out a hand to help me down the steps and out the door from the venue. "I'll just call the car around. Just wait inside the door. For February in London it is really cold!"

I smiled slightly and shivered as a gust of wind came through the front door as he stepped out to call for the car without lots of background noise.

This felt like the right decision. Deep down it felt like the grown-up thing to do, despite my heart trying to pull me back into the party to find Adam, my whole body craving to be held in his arms and kept warm in this cold British weather.

"Taylor, the car is ready." My security pocked his head through the door and I made my way over to him, glad of how quickly he had got the car around. It gave my mind less time to tell my legs to turn around and it gave certain people less time to figure out I had gone.

But apparently, it was not quite quick enough.

"Taylor! Please don't leave....." I heard Adam say behind me.

I tried not to turn around, I tried to ignore him as if I hadn't heard him. My brain was fighting every inch of my body that just wanted to turn around and run into his arms. I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling the cold air from the open door as well as the magnet like force of Adam's presence.

"Well you could always come with me." I said, my voice seeming foreign to me as the words came out, my head barely turning to the side as I started towards the door. My security guard smirked slightly as he saw my eyes widen in shock at my own words, but plastered a neutral look on his face as he held the door open for me, ushering me towards the car.

I climbed into the car and sat back, processing the last 45 seconds or so, until the door on the opposite side of the car opened wide and Adam climbed in.

My eyes widened as I stared at him. I never ever expected him to actually follow me.... Although I guess I had in theory asked him to. He just shrugged and sat back in his seat, looking ahead. I studied his profile and could tell he was just as shocked that he had followed me as I was. This made me giggle slightly as I looked at him. He turned towards me slightly and let out a deep breath, biting his lip.

"Well...um... where are we going exactly?" He asked, sounding unsure of the situation.

"My hotel... where else would we be going?" I said matter of factly.

"Miss Swift, is Mr Wiles joining you at the hotel or are we dropping him elsewhere?" MY driver asked. I saw both him and my security guard looking at me in the rear-view mirror and trying to keep the situation as professional as possible.

I looked over at Adam, who shrugged. I had basically just invited him to...well I don't know what he thought the implication of my invitation was, in my mind I thought we could just talk.... Actually... who was I trying to kid, my clouded mind wanted him to wrap his arms around me as I lay my head on his chest listening to the comforting beat of his heart as we watched the city wake up for a new day.

"Just to the hotel please." I said decisively, looking over at Adam who smiled whilst looking straight ahead at the road we were driving down.

It only took 5 minutes to get to my hotel. Adam and my security guard both followed me into the lobby and into the elevator.

"You don't have to walk me to my room tonight. I will let you know if I need anything. Thank you. See you in the morning." I told my security guard.

He nodded and wished me a good night as he turned off to his room down the hall from my suite. I kept walking, assuming Adam was behind me, and let myself in, leaving the door open and hearing it close soon after as Adam came in.

I immediately took off my heels and walked towards the living room area, sitting down on the sofa. Adam stood there awkwardly when I finally looked at him.

"Come on, just sit down. I don't bite." I said, rolling my eyes.

"I would beg to differ." Adam said quietly, smirking slightly and making me blush whilst trying to ignore what he said.

"Whatever.... How, um, how are you?" I asked cautiously. I felt at a loss for anything to say. We hadn't spoken properly since we broke up. A text message here and there was the extent of any recent communication, and even then, it was mainly work related.

"Not bad... how about you?" He asked, scratching his neck and also seeming at a loss.

"Pretty good thanks... I've been quite busy for the last 2 months or so. Before that I was bored really, so it's nice to get back into work and be able to compartmentalise any crap going on." I said, being honest with him. I had always felt like I could be totally honest with Adam and he wouldn't judge me... well until he became ultra-judgemental and petty, but that was hopefully behind him now.

"Yeah, I get what you mean." He said, pensively.

It was very quiet for a few minutes, neither of us making eye contact, both of us thinking. The tension was palpable.

"I just wanted to apologise..." I said as Adam simultaneously said "I'm really sorry...". We both burst into laughter, the tension in the room was at once shattered like a mirror.

"So we've established we both are sorry about one thing or another.... Should we just put it all behind us? Start fresh?" Adam asked.

I mulled it over quickly. That would be nice, like to ultimately be able to be friends. We were so similar in terms of work ethic and views on things, I had missed talking to him, nothing more (well, nothing I would admit openly) nothing less, just that connection from hours spent discussing and debating topics.

"Sure, a fresh start sounds good." I said, smiling at him.

"And what a perfect night for a fresh start!" Adam said jokingly, making my smile drop, "Sorry, that was too far right? I need to learn, obviously."

"No, it's fine.... Do you want to watch TV or something? I might order some room service, I am absolutely starved!" I said, reaching over to get the menu from the coffee table and moving over slightly so Adam could see the menu too. He shuffled closer on the sofa too and looked at it over my shoulder.

Soon we were both laughing our heads off at a rerun of Gavin and Stacy while eating smoked salmon, freshly made pizzas, ice cream, and drinking cocktails that we had delivered to the room. While we were waiting for the food I had changed into leggings and a tank top, while Adam had taken of his jacket, shoes, and shirt, and changed into an old T-shirt I had with me that would fit him (as it turned out it was his). We were lounging on the sofa without a care in the world as we watched TV and kept eating and talking about random topics. It felt like we were back to being us again... or at least some facet of our old selves. I smiled as I leaned my head onto Adam's shoulder and sighed contentedly.