Chapter 3: Interaction

"Did you see that guy?! We are probably the luckiest girls in the school!" Saki kept on rambling about the three boys. "This is even better than boot camp, I'll be bragging to Lala for the whole day....! Hey, are you ok, you seem out of it."

"Yeah, I'm ok. It's just that those guys seem a bit like dark horses to me. I don't know, there's something off with them." (Y/n) took a deep breath and felt a jab in the ribs.

"Don't ruin this for me with your intuition!" Saki grumbled.

Their next lesson was one that neither Saki, nor (Y/n) liked, which was science. But it wasn't science that got to (Y/n), it was the branch of chemistry that got under her skin. She never could remember what compound or mixture or reaction that occurred from the different elements. 'When am I going to even use that knowledge?' She thought to herself, a bit pessimistically. Though, at least Lala had the same class and was seated right next to Saki. However, (Y/n) was on a completely different table from them at the back, so she was most of the time alone.

The twins gave (Y/n) a sympathetic wave towards her and sat in their places, while she made her way to the end. As she put her equipment out, she noticed her new classmate coming up to the teacher and most likely explain who he was and how he was a new student and asking to be assigned a seat. (Y/n) didn't give it a second thought and opened her text book on the page needed. She began writing in her book when she felt something beside her. She turned her head towards disturbance to find Bako taking a seat next to her.

They locked eyes for a split second before (Y/n) went back to doing her assignment. To her discomfort, she sensed a ping paranoia once again. She sighed, attempting to ignore the sensation. After a minute of endeavouring to pay no mind, her tolerance wore off and glance at her partner's direction to see him staring at her. (Y/n) gave him an awkward smile to minimise the perplexing atmosphere. She quickly turned away and disappointingly, the sensation didn't go away.

After giving him another glance, she decided she needed to do something to diminish her delusion, beside just smile. "Can I help you?"

Bako looked a bit taken aback and seemed to only just notice he was staring at her. "S-sorry, I was just day dreaming." (Y/n) didn't really find that plausible but she didn't have any other explanation to she simply nodded. Bako scolded himself inwardly for not realising he was gaping at (h/c) haired girl. "Hey, uuumm. You dropped this." Bako took out the rubber and extended his hand towards the girl to take it. She looked at the worn out little object.

"Eh?!" (Y/n) started looking through her pencil case to only realised she didn't have her rubber in there. "Oh gosh, thank you." (Y/n) picked up her equipment from his hand. The azure male's breath hitched as he felt the (e/c) eyed female's fingers gently brush against his palm, claiming back her possession. "It's my only one and I'm not bothered to get a new rubber. Thanks." (Y/n) smiled politely at the boy and rotated back to her writing.

A bit disappointed at the lack of attention her received from the (e/c) eyed girl. He pondered at what else he could say to her, when he noticed the writing in her book, thinking to himself: 'wow....she's really not good with the basics of polymerisation.' The boy looks up at his partner and got alarmed when he saw her face twist into the definition of melancholy.

"What did I do wrong...?" She she looked straight into his eyes, waiting for him to respond.

"W-what?"

"Your looking at my page with sympathy, what did I do wrong?" Bako took a second to comprehend what she meant and put on a reassuring smile.

"Well, let's start with the fact that ethene molecules have a double bond between the two carbon atoms so they can join up to form one long molecule called poly(ethene)." (Y/n) looked at him with a blank expression, trying hard to turn the gears in her head.