Chapter 31: Confusion

Tuesday, September 22nd

"(Y/n)! Are you even listening to us?" Saki frantically waved a hand in front of her friend's face, clearly becoming more feverish. (Y/n) switched her attention back to the twins who were impatiently glaring at her, and apologetically smiled at them.

"Yeah yeah, I'm listening." However, that couldn't be further from the truth since the guilt and anguish from the events of the previous day, had followed her throughout the last 24 hours. It still deeply disturbed the (e/c) eyed girl how easily the boy could watch Oberon ripping someone apart, and then showing no remorse for it afterwards.

"What I was saying is, Saki and I were absolutely ecstatic over Alex's escort yesterday! Sorry we left you." Lala quickly added when she saw the annoyed look on her friend's face. " I don't see why you're complaining, I heard you left with Kenzan~" the twins' suspicions were confirmed when (Y/n)'s skin changed to a deeper colour.

"The girl becomes a woman." The two sisters began snickering at (Y/n)'s expenses while she hit both of them in the arms to communicate for them to end their teasing.

"You guys have no shame." The two sisters smugly smirked at the female when the bell rung to signal the start of the first lessons. "Oops, PE time." While Lala sank in disappointment at the prospect of performing physical labour, Saki couldn't look more uplifted at the thought of skillfully finishing off the best part of her day.

While in the changing rooms, (Y/n) continued to look around the number of girls swapping their own clothes for the sports uniforms. (Y/n) half-heartedly listened to her friends as she scanned for one specific female she wanted to hear distinct news from.

When she had spotted the girl, she quickly flung her clothes in a random direction, unintentionally having them hit Saki's face. (Y/n) quickly exited the scene before her friend went on a rampage and approached the other changing girl. "Sei! So how was the 'chit-chat' with Jin?" (Y/n) had managed to convince the boy on taking the girl's number in anticipation it would bring them to a new level in their relationship. However, her hopes seemed to diminish as she saw the female's disappointed expression.

"It was nice...but he didn't seem too interested." Sei gave a saddened smile.

"What? But I really thought you guys could actually be something. What happened?" (Y/n) started pulling on the female's hair as to nag on for more information.

"Nothing, really. He just seemed way too distant, and I tried to think of subjects we could talk about, but he just gave me these short answers." The girls sighed and neatly folded her clothes to put on her assigned spot on one of the benches.

"I'm really sorry. I genuinely didn't think it would be that awkward." (Y/n) apologetically stroked the girl's hair as an endeavor of comfort.

"I'm not going to give up! I'll try and talk with him after school again. Hopefully, this time, it will go a bit more smoothly." She clenched her fists in a show of confidence, which (Y/n) couldn't help but admire.

"You really are a hard worker, I'm impressed with your determination!" Sai slightly blushed at the comment, but graciously took it, "That's why I'm going to give you a heads up on something you could talk about." The motivated female seemed intrigued at the proposition, "He's a huge fan of horror. Do whatever you want with that information." Sei grinned and nodded her head at the helpful information.

While Saki was already making rounds on her 3rd lap through the tracks, the rest of the females were still on their first locomotion of the warm up. Most of the girl's glared at the happy looking female for shaming them in front of their strict coach, while she simply benignantly took their jealous scowls. When the sporty student was at a distance, Lala nudged (Y/n) to catch her attention. "You wanna hear something amazing?!"

"I don't know. Your definition of 'amazing' consists of a night of pillow talk." Lala decided to ignore the mocking comment for her excitement exceeded her annoyance.

"It's something that happened this morning, before school! Alex just came up to me and asked for my number. I nearly fainted!" (Y/n) prepared to catch her friend due to the swooning look on her and gazed at the female in confusion.

"Wait, Alex actually talked in full sentence to you?" (Y/n) was a bit surprised that the cautious boy would consider being the one to approach his biggest, and arguably most obsessed, fangirl.

"Well, he kept it pretty short and straight, but I could feel something click between us! And even when I texted him and he barely replied, it just felt so uplifting, you know." Despite (Y/n)'s doubts on the moment being mutual, she wasn't going to ruin her friend's good mood, especially since she's never seen her this happy -especially during this lesson.- "But don't tell Saki, Alex said he wanted this to be only between us. Isn't this awesome?! A secret relationship, with forbidden lovers." The blond started getting giddy, causing her to trip and fall, while (Y/n) rolled her eyes and continued on jogging, pretending like she hadn't seen anything. "(Y/n)!"

Time Skip

"You guys are too slow in changing. I'll wait for you outside." Lala confoundedly stomped out of the changing room, causing a few of the students to give her perplexed looks.

"What's got her bothered?"

"I left her in the dust when she fell." (Y/n) smirked, having no regret. Saki grinned at the amusing cruelty and bumped fists with her friend.

"Nice one. Oh! You wanna hear something amazing?!" (Y/n) felt an eery sense of dèjá vu but allowed the girl to finish. "You won't believe who asked me for my number yesterday!" Soon, (Y/n) began piecing the clues together and urgently hoped her intuition was wrong. "Alex came up to me after taking us home and then asked for my phone! We texted each other when Lala was asleep, and the conversation seemed a bit dead on his side, but I actually got to talk to him! I think he's started to like me! Ok, it looked a bit forced, but he still asked for it! Isn't that awesome?!" The female remained speechless towards the words of her friend. She wasn't sure if she even heard the whole think correctly and even deluded that she was still talking to Lala. "Uumm, (Y/n)? Are you alive?"

(Y/n) sensed a hand swaying in front of her face and reluctantly smiled at her friend, "Yeah yeah, sorry..."

"Anyway, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone since Alex told me to keep it on the down low, but I just needed to share it with someone!" The (h/c) haired female simply nodded at the girl's statement and wondered what she should say towards this. "So don't tell Lala, ok? I...don't want her to ruin this for me." The spoke the last line out in a more wistful tone that contrasted from her previous liveliness. Despite her hesitance, (Y/n) forced herself to nod in an oath of secrecy, but still felt uncomfortable and at guard with the whole situation and concluded she needed to discuss these actions with the silent boy himself.

Time Skip

"JIN! I need to talk to you!" The girl sat down in her history seat and stared at her partner. The boy seemed more than pleased about the idea of conversing with the female, but was let down by the disappointment due to the subject she wanted to discuss. "What happened with Sei? I thought you would give her a chance."

The boy exhaled and began to concentrate more on his work, "I did. I'm sorry but it's not my fault it didn't work out." (Y/n) furrowed her brown at the underwhelming news.

"Jin, you need to make an effort. From what I heard, you were practically uncomfortable with talking to her." The male shrugged his shoulders, unfazed by the comment. "Come on, dude. Please." He cringed at the sincere and wounded tone in the female's voice, feeling a gallon on guilt falling on his shoulders.

"(Y/n), I'm not-" he was interrupted by a cough emerging from his throat, which was followed by another. And another. And another, until a slew of dry gags and breathless chokes began taking over. The teacher looked towards the boy with concern while (Y/n) was at a loss for words at her partner's abrupt attack of heavy hacks. When his teacher inquired on his condition, Jin could only compress his breath as a response.

"Jin, you can go drink some water if you need to." The boy shook his head to deny the offer but was betrayed by the chain of the suffocating sound in his throat. He took a moment to pull himself up from his seat and leave to relive the irritation from his oesophagus.

(Y/n) glanced back at the twins who seemed just as confused as her at the unexpected occurrence, leaving her to wonder on what the cause for the sudden throttle her partner suffered.