Chapter 8: The Sound Of Music

'I could be having my food right now' (Y/n) grumbled to herself as her head was preoccupied with the promise of lunch. As the nurse came out, (Y/n) stood up from the leather chair in the waiting room. "What's up Doc?" Mrs Horigome chuckled at the humorous reference and looked at the student sympathetically.

"I called their parents to come by and take them, they seemed to have caught a horrible cold. Probably from the weather." The nurse looked out of the window to see the down pour that was still continuing. "They'll be fine in a few days, but until then, they'r as good as hibernating bears."

After (Y/n) said her goodbye and quick recovery to the two ill girls, she decided she would retreat to her classroom for her tardy eating. Her plans were however nugatory, while on her way, she stopped in her tracks when a maudlin melody invaded her ears. No, welcomed itself in, and a sensation of halcyon overtook the mesmerised girl's body. It was the delicate chords of a piano that seeped their graceful notes into the empty hallway. 'None even comes near the music or art rooms.....what is that?' (Y/n) tried to locate the elegant symphony and neared a half open door that lead to the storage room for all the instruments. Peeking through the large gap, she spotted who the musician was.

As his dexterous fingers danced around to the keys, his hands nimbly followed to perform the beautiful chords. Trailing her eyes along the hands, up the arms and above the neck, (Y/n) made the discovery that this was the coal-haired student that helped pick up her belongings after he bumped into her.

While she was deep in thought, (Y/n) barely noticed the music was curtail and saw that the boy was aware of her presence. Not wanting to seem like a creep or interrupt his practice any further, she turned on her heels and was gaining momentum to bolt out of the area but skidded to a halt when she heard the boy's demanding voice.

"W-wait please! Can you come back for a moment?!" The male looked hopefully towards the empty doorway, buoyant in her return. After a solid moment of expectance, he sat himself back down in front of the large piano, exhaling a bit regretfully. But he jumped at the sudden reappearance of the girl again. Sweetly smiling at her, he signalled for permission of approaching him.

Reluctantly, she took a few steps inside the room, trying to think of a good conversation starter. "So....you come here often?" She knew this was a largely used opening but she couldn't deny the effectiveness of the classics.

This seemed to strike a chord with him and he ran his long, slender fingers smoothly and silently across the ivory and onyx keys, a nostalgic glint in his dark eyes. He smiled down fondly at the long untouched piano and looked back at the girl. "I didn't even know such a treasure was hidden in this school......its a pity to leave it gathering dust." (Y/n) payed attention as to how dismally he looked at the large instrument. It was clear he had a special place in his heart for performing. Seeing this, (Y/n) decided to sit down next to the jet black student and bring out her lunch.

Noticing the boy's taken by surprise, she made herself comfortable and relaxed. "Can I listen to you?" This forced the teen's eyes to widen a fraction and turned to fully regard her.

"You want to hear me play?" He awaited for her to answer, apprehensive to her request.

"Yeah, you sounded amazing. The timing, the beat, the fluency and co-ordination. It was perfect!" She honestly told him. A flicker of passion and light emerged from his dark, night eyes. He eagerly stretched and was about to start with the piano piece again.

"I'm a bit out of practice so don't expect a pinochle of perfection on this. Plus, I don't do well with crowds." He gave the girl a worried smile.

"If it helps I can go and face the corner and eat my lunch there." She pointed to an unswept part of the room between a drum kit that hasn't been used since the school festival; and a bronze coloured harp that is missing half its strings.

"No no!" He quickly darted his hands out to catch her if she did in fact intend to move. The new student composed himself and looked apologetically at the surprised girl. "I'm sorry. It's just that, when I play I like seeing the faces of my audience. It's the things that makes it worth it for me and helps me enjoy myself as well." (Y/n) smirked at him and settled down again. The boy placed his hands above the keys again, seeming to mellow out, "By the way, my name is Ren." This rang a bell in the girl's head.

"So you're Ren? I wondered who Jin was talking about." She connecting the pieces.

"Jin talked to you?" He stared at the (h/c) haired in awe, wondering how his reserved friend opened up to her.

"Well, 'talked' is one way of putting it, but yah, we talked to each other." Ren smiled knowingly at the girl and turned he's attention back to the piano. All it took was one note to be played before a whole composition was given out. A lyrical and graceful and disambiguating sound overtook the empty room. (Y/n) watched carefully at the stunning sound, quick yet soothing, loud yet soft, anyone could tell the boy had years of practice and great talent. The macro instrument had its own life and personality when played by the dark boy, giving the illusion of the two becoming one.

It was only when he had finished did (Y/n) remember she had food to eat. "Wow, your incredible!" She exclaimed and finally took a bite out of her lunch. Ren tried to hide his embarrassment, but was clear as crystal that he felt proud of himself.

While the other students of the school were eating their goods or hanging around the school, Ren and (Y/n) sat in the superannuated room, exchanging stories, backgrounds and getting well aquatinted with each other. Through this, (Y/n) created another file in her head consisting of everything she had learned about him:
Age 18, born on July 2nd
Relationship with the other 5 boys
Best friends- Jin, Ryo, Alex
Good acquittance- Kaito, Bako
Interests- music, the piano, cloudy days, musicals and theatres.
Dislikes- awkward silences, fast food, the colour orange, traffic and dub step.

(Y/n) snickered as to how Skrillex's work didn't strike his fancy, on one hand it made sense, he seemed like the type of person to prefer classical music. On the other hand, one would think he liked every musical genre. "What if you mix the two?"

The dark raven cringed at the thought of his beloved compositions get mixed with robotic sound effects. "Not my style." Their conversation was cut short by the sound of a distant bell echoing.

"Oops, that's my cue. Thanks for the performance, you really should consider playing in front of a real audience." (Y/n) packed up her now empty lunch box and picked up her bag. Ren watched with an undertone of disheartens at the thought of ending their pleasant discourse.

As the (e/c) eyed student was about to leave the area, Ren stood up, "H-hey, (Y/n)?" The girl in question turned to regard him. "Thank you.....I really enjoyed your company." Smiling gratefully at her, he waved goodbye.

"Thanks, same here." She finally left to go to her finale two classes of the day.

Before Ren would leave the storage himself and go to his own lessons, he ran his fingers along a few of the high note keys, reminiscing over his time spent with the (h/c) haired girl. "She's full of surprises." He concludes before closing the fall-board and also leaving the instruments to their dormant state.