Chapter 18: Cracks Appear

(Y/n) pulled herself away from her tutor and squirmed back in her seat to put as much distance as she could from the ticking time bomb that was Bako. He kept on glaring at her with his shaded denim eyes, looking beyond her soul. "What are you doing, (Y/n)?" He calmly repeated, flexing his fists to relieve the tension building up in his muscles. Kaito carefully watched the boy's actions, expertly picking up on the malice undertone emerging from the atmosphere.

"I asked her to come here. And she kindly accepted to be tutored." The intellectually stepped in front of (Y/n)'s paralysed form and protectively shielded her from his friend's gaze. This time around, it was his turn to be glared at by the aggravated male.

"Didn't look like any tutoring when I came in." Bako's words spilled out through clenched teeth and weren't making any attempt to hide his disgust. No matter from what angle Kaito could put it, it wouldn't work in his favour and neither would Bako believe him. The pair of them isolating themselves in an empty room and then being walked on in a frenzied state, with the two holding each other. The pieces seemed to lead on to something else in the azure teen's mind. 'How could the two of them do such a thing. When did (Y/n) become like this....no, (Y/n) would never do something as tasteless as this on her own accord. It his fault, he probably said something to her, he probably did something to lead her on. I would never have expected this from you Kaito.' He approached his friend with a bold stride, "Kaito? You still have good reflexes right?" The boy spoke out the enquiry in a threatening tone, stretching and clinching his fingers to warm up for his upcoming confrontation.

"No, he's right!" (Y/n) finally emerged into reality and caught onto her classmate's interpretation and quickly stood in front of Kaito, much like the way he did for her.

"(Y/n)?" The scarlet male looked at his partner with surprise at her sudden show of courage. Even Bako seemed taken aback by her retaliation and determination.

"I can promise you were actually were studying, look." She held up the note book that was filled with notes and scribbles done by both her and Kaito. "And don't get the wrong idea by what you saw when you came in. I started getting bored and restless, so I began messing around and dragged him into it as well. So if it's anyone you should be scolding, it's me." Bako stared at her for a few moments and then hung his head as every sense of aggression and intimidation dissolved from his body.

"I see....then I'm sorry for making such assumptions, it was wrong of me to do so." Once his words were spoken, the bell chimed to announce the begging of today's last two lessons. Bako walked out of the room with an untouchable bubble surrounding his mood. Kaito secretly smirked at his defeat, but his satisfaction diminished as the girl he had set his eyes on also began leaving for her own lessons.

"Hold on. Will I be expecting you back here to tomorrow?" He hoped for a 'yes' to the question.

"Hhhmmm....." She considered the offer for a few seconds. "Nah, I think the notes you gave me are fine enough. I'll survive, plus I just missed my lunch and I simply can't keep doing that for another few weeks." She waved and smiled at him, leaving the boy to attend to his own class room.

For a few heartbeats he was silent and calm, making no movement. However, the bubbling sensation circulating through his body caused him to punched the wall, leaving a slight dent in it as well as scraping his knuckles. But he didn't feel the pain, he was too drowned out in disappointment to really pay attention to his bleeding skin. "So you won't agree to my conditions. No matter, your co-operation will come in time." He pleasantly smiled to himself and closed the door to the reading room.

"What don't you understand by 'keeping your distance from them?' It's not a hard task." Hiroko began scolding the girl upon entering the classroom. "When you get your head cut off, I won't be crying for you." He bitterly sat down next to his Geography partner, sending glares to the people who were staring at his outburst. They immediately went back to minding their own business the moment they locked eyes with the gang leader and (Y/n) irritably sighed at the guy.