Chapter 22: A Visit

Saturday, September 19th

When (Y/n) woke up, she found all the joints in her body stiff and aching, a clear sign that she didn't have a comfortable night sleep. When she checked her clock she was surprised to see it was still pretty early in the morning, or, at least, earlier than she had planned on waking up. She checked her phone for any new messages but had none, not even from the twins, 'It's expected, they wouldn't be awake at 8:30 in the morning.' She got up rather lazily and freshened up before deciding to go downstairs to check on Fenrir.

"Hi (Y/n). You've been waking up very early lately, the bed isn't comfortable enough?" Her grandmother questioned with a hint of amusement.

"No, I just want to start my weekend early." The girl went over to get some of the already prepared breakfast her grandmother had made, "Gran, is there any news from mom and dad?" She sat down across the table from her grandmother to eat her meal.

The girl immediately knew that bad news was coming her way by the sympathetic expression on her grandmother's face, and braced herself for the news. "They said that their business will take much longer than expected and then there's the issue of the weather there being unreasonable for them to fly out. So they will stay, maximum one more month, than expected." The elderly woman gave the girl an encouraging look but her attempts were still overshadowed by the news.

Though it didn't really faze the girl, she grew quite accustomed to the absence of her parents over the years and found more comfort in the more solitary times. They both work for the same big company which would usually require both of them to partake in the job and leave the girl alone. But, most of the time it would be her grandmother coming over to look after her until they arrived, however (Y/n) knew this wasn't the case this time. "Does that still mean you'll be leaving next week?"

The woman nodded her head sadly, "I'm sorry dear, but you know your grandfather can't take care of himself for too long. And I don't want to leave you on your own for two whole weeks, but you understand how it is."

"Of course, I don't want grandpa to be left unsupervised so it's ok. Plus, I've been alone for way longer than just a month so it should be nothing for me really." The woman smiled at the teenager as if to say 'thank you for understanding,' and the girl quickly finished up her breakfast and thanked her grandmother. While the elderly lady was distracted with washing the dishes, (Y/n) took the chance to sneak some food that won't be missed, from the fridge for the dog. She quickly entered the back garden and checked if she was being watched by her carer. "Fenrir? Here boy. Come have some breakfast!" It didn't take long for the bouncy and agile animal to appear and begin licking the scraps of meat and leftover bones from past dinners, from the girl's hand.

While the dog was eating, she couldn't help but wonder if she should do something foolish and talk to the creature like a worry doll. She watched him carefully as he quickly finished up the last scraps of his meal. The pup licked his lips and wagged his tail in gratitude of his given goods and happily stared back at the girl. "So...what do you think I should do?" The pup remained none responsive beside the usual animal behaviour. "I bet you're wondering what I'm talking about? You wanna hear what's got my shoulders so heavy?" Despite feeling awkward at the prospect of talking to an animal who most likely wouldn't understand nor answer her, she pushed that feeling aside and turned to him like a small friend that would keep each and every one of her secrets. "Well...yesterday after school I wanted to apologise to my friend Ryo for abandoning him during lunch since something came up. So when I went to this weird room he designed I found him drunk off beer and half asleep on the floor." (Y/n) leaned against the small apple tree that was planted in her garden as the pup scooted closer on her lap to listen to the girl's troubles. "I don't know what had gotten into him...I guess he is pretty unpredictable but I would never have imagined him even a little drunk. Anyway, I tried to sort him out but he wouldn't move so...one thing led to another and he started restraining me to the ground and kissing me." The flashback to the memory sent chills to run down the girl's spine and an uneasy sensation to resonate in her mind.