Imagine 50: Michael Gordon Clifford (Ugly Sweater)

imagine for the holiday! merry Christmas!! (assuming you celebrate)

"Your sweater looks like shit," she commented, appraising your outfit from top to bottom as the cold winter air blew. "You'll win Ugliest Sweater for sure!" She exclaimed happily.

You rolled your eyes, a timid smile forming on your lips. "Can I come in now? The cake might freeze. Like me."

"Fuck, right, sorry! Come in, come in," she ushered you in, the house loud and bustling.

Your best friend was in charge of hosting this year's Christmas party, and the theme she'd set was 'Ugly Christmas Sweater'. From the looks of it, it seemed to be going well.

"You can put the cake in the kitchen, just move some stuff around to make space if there isn't any." She smiled before walking off and chatting up a group of friends by the fireplace.

You huffed, the warmth creeping into your clothes as you weaved yourself through the crowd, taking care of the cake box in your arms til you set it down on one of the shiny marble counters, your elbow pushing used paper plates and styro cups to the side, a cup rolling off the counter and down to the floor.

You exhale, a bit annoyed, and crouch down to pick the offending cup up, only to come in contact with a hand, the middle finger inked with an 'x'.

Looking up, your eyes meet with green ones as you stand, the red haired boy following suite.

"I guess this is yours?" He asks casually, shrugging his shoulders to adjust his denim jacket.

You shake your head. "Nope, I just got here."

"Oh, that's gross then." He says, dropping the cup on the counter, only for it to fall back down again, the red haired boy catching it mid-air and putting it on the surface, a breathy, slightly embarrassed laugh escaping his lips.

A beat skips between the both of you, you taking the time to discreetly check him out from head to toe.

"Hey, isn't this an ugly sweater party?" You ask.

"Yeah, why?" He answers, confused.

"That is definitely not an ugly sweater." You tell him, nodding your head to motion at his top, which had a cat wearing a santa hat design on.

He looked taken aback by your statement, making a voice in your head pipe up that maybe your tone of voice made you sound rude, even though what you said was anything but.

"Yours isn't either!" He said, a grin on his face as you fake gasped.

"Hey, this is the ugliest thing in the room! I mean, are you looking at this right?" You say, stretching your sweater out to show him the entire design.

He gives you a face, putting his palm on the kitchen counter. You mirror his expression, your arms folding across your chest.

"I think we have different views on what 'ugly' is." You say superiorly, looking up at him.

"Maybe, and you're definitely not what that word is." He says, a hint of timidness in his tone as he tries to copy your seemingly confident demeanor, making your eyes widen in surprise.

"Yeah, well, your eyes are really pretty!" You tell him, trying to hide the effect his compliment had on you.

He laughs, and somehow, after shouting compliments at each other for half an hour, you leave the party at eleven with his phone number and a bashful grin.