Imagine 15: Luke Robert Hemmings (Surprise)

Luke had been feeling a bit down lately, his mood taking a toll on him.

Instead of being the responsible and sometimes awkward band member, he became a lethargic and grumpy boyfriend who missed his girlfriend a load.

Calum, Michael, and Ashton noticed, obviously, since they were together most of the time. They didn’t like seeing their best friend the way he was. It made them feel a bit sad.

So, they called you up.

The lads had a fan meet-and-greet scheduled in a week, and Calum, Michael, and Ashton wanted to surprise Luke.

Of course you agreed, seeing as though you missed Luke a ton.

The boys paid for your plane ticket and everything, much to your protest. You didn’t like it when the boys paid for your things without your knowledge. It made you feel like a freeloader. It was their money that they earned. Not yours.

Ashton arranged for you to stay in a separate hotel, Michael and Calum making sure Luke didn’t know a thing. It was pretty difficult to keep you as a secret, seeing as though Luke started getting more and more suspicious.

The days passed by and the day of their performance arrived. You were giddy with excitement to see the boys perform live instead of seeing them from videos posted on YouTube, and because you were going to see Luke in a couple of hours.

Michael hired a cab for you to ride for the way to the venue. As the distance between you and Luke started closing in and the hours turned into minutes, you found yourself feeling nervous.

Would Luke be happy seeing you backstage?

You took in a deep breath, trying to calm your nerves. Luke loved you. He reassured you that he did whenever he could, either with his words or his actions.

You arrived at the concert venue and after a bit of a hassle, made it backstage, where Ashton, Calum, and Michael ushered you into another room.

“Stay here until you hear Lost Boy, okay?” Ashton said softly. Luke was in the bathroom, styling his hair into his usual quiff.

You nodded your head, trying to keep your cool.

Ashton noticed your uneasiness and gave you a smile, his dimples showing. “He really misses you. It’s good that you’re here.”

With that, he left the room to join the others in their pre-show rituals.

The show started about half an hour before you arrived, and you quit playing around on your phone. You listened intently, slowly walking out of the room Ashton told you to stay in and making your way to the narrow hallway.

Luke’s voice filled your ears and you couldn’t help but smile. That was your boyfriend out there on stage with his best friends, living the dream.

You couldn’t feel anything else but pride.

You found yourself singing along to the lyrics of the songs they played before the instrumental of Lost Boy played. You remembered your cue and walked towards the stage entrance briskly, leaning against one of the walls as you watched the boys perform up close.

Ashton banged on his drums with so much passion, him rolling his lips in his mouth and trying to keep his mouth in a straight line.

Michael made frequent trips to and from the stage front to Ashton, grinning from ear to ear, his nright green hair messy.

Calum was smiling the whole time, holding his bass and playing with a look of satisfaction on his features. He never would have had the opportunities he has now if he didn’t give up soccer.

Luke, however, looked absolutely beautiful. He seemed really happy to be performing; to be in front of all these people and doing something he really loves. It made your heart melt.

Mikey saw you and nodded at you before turning around and nudging Luke, hastily whispering something in his ear before returning to his mike and singing back-up.

At the brief interval, Luke looked back and saw you. His insides started getting messed up, his heart pounding harder than it ever did.

He couldn’t believe you really were here.

The remaining three boys exchanged quick looks and smiles, glancing at Luke and nudging him, silently telling him to continue the set.

The concert passed by in a blur and as soon as they finished their last song, Luke practically ran off the stage and gathered you in his arms, burying his head in your hair.

“I can’t believe you’re here.”