Damn You

YEAR: 2030

[Dan's POV]

"Bear, when is Winnie coming home?" Delilah asked as she followed me around the house.
"Today," I mumbled.
"When?"
"When I pick him up at the hospital,"
"Can I come?"
"No Dil,"
"Why not?"
"Cause I'm gonna be in then out, it'll take ten minutes at the most. Plus he needs to keep his leg up and if you're there then he'll have to put his leg on you,"
"Oh..."
"Yeah,"
"So what happened to him again?"
"His knee and ankle popped out of their sockets. He's not gonna be able to walk for a while,"
"So when he gets back from the hospital, he still won't be able to walk?"
"No, his leg still needs to heal from surgery and y'know, the brokenness,"
"Oh...okay. Will he be in a wheel chair?"
"In school yes, at home, no."
"Why not at home?"
"Because," I sighed.
"Because why?"
"Dil stop bothering bear," Phil mumbled from the couch. "Come play Mario Kart with me," he smiled.
"Okay," she sighed as she hopped onto the couch.

I looked to Phil and mouthed the words Thank You; he gave me a bright smile and nodded back.

"Alright, I'll be right back,"
"Bye bear," Phil and Delilah simultaneously said.

I waved goodbye as I walked out of the house; I rushed to my car and drove to the hospital.

"Hi, I'm here-"
"To pick up Winston," the secretary mumbled as she flipped through a magazine.
"How did you know?"
"I'd recognize that Winnie the Pooh voice anywhere Mr. Howlter," she smirked as she sat up and dialed a number into the phone. "Hi...Daniel Howlter is here to pick up his son," she began biting her nails as she waited for a response. "M'kay, thanks," she hung up the phone and smiled. "You can go back. You know where his room is right?"
"Yeah," I gave her an awkward smile as I headed back to Winston's room. "Hi Winnie," I smiled as I walked in.
"Hi bear," he mumbled as he put Phil's laptop into his backpack.
"Ready to go?"
"Yeah," he sighed as he got into the wheelchair. "Did you make my first P.T. appointment?"
"Yeah it's in a few days,"
"Okay," he pouted and began wheeling out of the room.
"Winnie wait," I said trying to gather the rest of his things. "Winston Alexander Howlter wait!"
"What!" he yelled as he stopped.
"I was just trying to catch up," I mumbled as I began pushing him out of the hospital.
"Bye Dan!" The receptionist waved, "Bye Winston, hope you feel better,"
"Thanks," he pouted.

I helped Winston out of his wheelchair and helped him into the back of the car. After he was in the car, a nurse followed us out so he could take the wheelchair back in. We began driving home in silence before Winston made me turn the radio on.

When I was a young boy...

"You love this song Winnie," I smiled.
"I'm not in the mood for Black Parade. Please change it,"
"Okay..." I mumbled as I flipped through the stations.

AND NOW I JUST SIT IN SILENCE
AND NOW I JUST SIIIIIIT

I ponder of something great, my lungs will fill and then deflate. They fill with fire exhale desire, I know it's dire my time toda-

"Bear why did you change it?"
"You like Twenty Øne Piløts?"
"They played a few songs in the hospital," he mumbled.
"Like what?"
"I don't know...Migraine...Stressed Out...House of Gold and...Before You Start Your Day,"
"Those are good," I nodded as we pulled into the driveway. "Alright, come on," I said as I helped him out of the car.
"Can I have my crutches?"
"Yeah, I'll give them to you when we're inside,"
"What do yo-oh god!" he yelped as I picked him up. I began carrying him inside the house and gently set him down on the couch.
"Guess who's home!" I chuckled as I headed back to the car to get his things.
"Hi Winnie,"
"Hi dad,"
"Do you want anything?"
"Can I have a water please?"
"Of course," he russled his hair. "Here," Phil smiled as he walked back into the living room.
"Thanks," he mumbled as he took a sip.
"So, funny story," I said while bringing Winston's bags into the lounge. "The receptionist knew who I was," I chuckled.
"Is that it?"
"She was just cute,"
"How old is she?"
"She can't be older than 22,"
"Oh she's a baby," Phil smiled.
"Hey Winnie, can I sign your cast?" Delilah asked.
"Sure," he shrugged.

As Delilah ran to the office to get a sharpie, someone knocked on the door.

"Darcy?" I answered with a puzzled look on my face.
"Hi, I heard Winston got hurt," she mumbled.
"Yeah...why are you here," I said a little too rudely.
"When am I babysitting again?" she rolled her eyes.
"Not for a few months," I replied.
"A few months! Dan, I can't not get paid! I have to buy shit!"
"I understand that but we don't want anyone else taking care of him while he's injured,"
"Why not? We literally just sit on the couch and play video games,"
"Darcy, he has to take medication at certain times, he has doctor and therapy appointments, we can't have you looking after him with all of this going on," I sighed.
"I can give him meds," she huffed.
"No Darcy,"
"Can I at least get paid for Dil?"
"No Darc. Please go back home, we'll call you if we ever need you. Got it?"
"Got it," she snarled as she headed home.
"Who was at the door Dan?" Phil asked as I walked back to the lounge.
"Darcy," I sighed as I turned on the PS4.
"What did she want?"
"She was wondering when she could babysit again,"
"She's probably not gonna do it until next year," Phil sighed.
"Hey bear..." Winston mumbled as I handed him a controller.
"Yeah?"
"I was watching a few of your old videos when I was in the hospital,"
"You were?" I chuckled as Mario Kart loaded.
"Yeah and you always said this one thing...I thought it was funny..."
"What did I say?"
"The game,"
I let out a chuckle, "Damn you."