Risk It

YEAR: 2047

[Winston's POV]

"Are you ready for tonight?" Dad asked.

We were in the bathroom; I was trying to get ready but dad kept budding in by trying to fix my hair and straighten out my jacket. Every time he tried to fix something, I cringed and swatted him away; he just ignored me and continued fixing me up.

"Yeah, I'm ready," I smiled.
"Do you have the ring?"
"It's in my pocket,"
"Let me see it,"

I rolled my eyes once more, and reached inside my coat pocket to show dad the little black box.

"See? I have it,"
"Open it, and show me the ring,"
"Fine,"

I snapped the lid of the box up to reveal the stunning sterling silver ring. I smiled proudly at the shiny object; God, I hope she says yes.

"When do you have to leave?" dad asked.
"Soon," I sighed as I buttoned my suit jacket. "Can you please stop touching me?"
"But I like helping,"
"But I also need to say goodnight to Lydia,"
"Fine," he sighed. "I can't believe you're getting engaged,"
"Dad, I feel like you forget that I was already married,"
"I know but..."
"But what?"
"She's never been engaged or anything before and this is just a big deal for her and you because you might be getting another kid and-"
"Dad, are you crying?"
"No," he pouted as he wiped his eyes. "You have a dinner to get to," he whispered. "Good luck,"
"Thanks, dad," I smiled.

I headed downstairs to find Lydia and bear sitting on the couch watching Winnie the Pooh. I walked in, and flashed the toddler a smile as I gathered the rest of my things.

"Lydia," I said.
"Yeah?"

She turned to face me and all of her short, blonde curls just covered her face. She quickly pouted and shoved all of the curls to the side. Whenever her curls brushed in front of her eyes and she got all mad, I couldn't help but smile.

"Daddy's gotta go out for a bit. I'll be back when you wake up,"
"Where you goin'?"
"I'm going out to see Jenny,"
"Who's Jenny?"
"Mummy," I corrected.
"Oh," she shrugged. "Okay,"
"Bye princess," I kissed her forehead and have her a hug. "Behave for papa and grandpa,"
"I will,"
"I love you,"
"I love you too,"
"Bye guys," I waved.
"Bye!" Dad and bear simultaneously yelled. "Good luck!"

***

"Hi, reservations for two. The name is Howlter,"
"Ah yes, right this way," the hostess smiled as she showed us to our table.

I made reservations at the nicest restaurant in town. It was a lovely Italian restaurant; each table was lit by a beautiful arrangement of candles spread across the table. And, upon request, they spread fresh rose petals as well.

"Winnie, this place is gorgeous," Jenny smiled as I pushed in her chair. "What's the occasion?"
"Just felt like taking my lovely girlfriend out,"
"Oh, well now I feel spoiled," she blushed. "Seriously, what's the occasion? You made us leave the kids at home. You bring me to a fancy restaurant. You made me take the day off work, for whatever reason. What's the occasion?" she laughed.
"What's wrong with wanting a nice night out? Y'know, a night without kids?"
"That does sound nice..." she smirked.
"I actually got a hotel room for later," I whispered.
"You did?" she raised a brow. "I can't wait," she bit her bottom lip.
"Hi," the waitress greeted. "Do you guys know what you want to drink?"

***

When dinner was over, I drove us to the hotel, where we'd be spending the night. When we got all checked in, we headed up to our luxury suite; it was set up just the way I asked. There were candles and a bag of flower petals hidden in the closet so, when Jenny steps out for a minute, I could make the room look perfect.

"Oh, wow, you really went all out," she giggled. "Hey," she played with my tie. "I'm gonna go get into something more comfortable," she winked as she headed for the bathroom.

As soon as the door closed, I rushed into the closet to grab all of the belongings. I scattered the petals across the bed and I even put some on the floor. Then, I took out all of the scented candles dad had given me and started lighting them. Once everything was the way I wanted, I started pacing the room, waiting for her to walk out.

"Winston," she said in a flirty tone.

I didn't hear her; all I heard was my heart beating in my ears. I was facing the wall, away from her, and preparing what I was going to say to her. Then, I felt her tap my shoulder.

"Winston," she raised a brow.
"Oh, Jenny! I, uh, I-"
"What's all this?" she asked, looking around the room.

She looked back to me and smiled. Her slightly curled, brunette locks brushed in front of her face as she cracked a smile and laughed. She was standing in front of me, in some lacy lingerie; I must say, the way the candle light hit her face and eyes just right, she's never looked more beautiful.

"Winston," she said again. "Can you please tell me what all of this is about?"
"I-I, um... I..."
"You, what?"

I looked to the floor and inhaled sharply; then, I looked her in the eye. I lightly grabbed her hands and carefully got down on my good knee as I pulled the box out of my pocket.

"What are you doing?" she laughed.
"Jennifer Lloyd-"
"Winston Howlter," she chuckled.
"I-I know we've only been t-together for a y-year but I l-love you and I was wondering i-if you-"
"Yes," she cried.
"But I didn't finish..."
"I already knew what you were going to say," she beamed as she kissed me. "The ring is beautiful," she gawked as she slid it on her finger. "And, it's bigger than your sisters," she said.
"Why does that matter?"
"Cause I have the bigger ring. I won," she joked.
"You really like winning,"
"I love winning," she smiled. "How'd you even afford this? Do you have a secret job that I don't know about?"
"About that, can you help me up?" I held my arms out.
"Oh, yeah," she said.
"Thanks," I mumbled. "So, when I was eight, my knee and ankle popped out of their sockets and I got a lot of money in the lawsuit," I explained. "Ever since then I've had issues with running, swimming, kneeling," I softly chuckled. "So yeah... The lawsuit... That's how I paid for all this..."
"Well, in my opinion, it was money well spent," she smiled as she kissed me again. "We just got engaged," she whispered.
"We just got engaged," I repeated.
"We got engaged!" she cheered as I picked her up.

She wrapped her legs around my waist, her arms hooked around my neck, and rested her forehead against mine. She started placing little kisses on my lips, cheeks, and jaw.

"Y'know, I'm half naked," she whispered flirtatiously.
"Why yes," I kissed her neck. "Yes you are,"
"And there's a bed, right there,"
"Oh, would you look at that," I smirked as I placed her down and stratled her waisted. "There is,"

I kissed her once more before she tapped my chest, and pulled away from the kiss.

"Wait, wait," she panted.
"What? Is something wrong?"
"Do you have a, hm hm?"
"You're so fucking awkward," I laughed as I pressed a kiss into her cheek. "And no, I don't," I sighed.

We both sat up and let out annoyed sighs. We sat in silence for a minute or two before we looked to each other and shrugged.

"Risk it?" she asked.
"Risk it."