Phone Calls

YEAR: 2052

[Jenny's POV]

"I'm on my way," Delilah whispered. "Jenny, you're coming with us. Let's go,"
"Is everything okay?"
"No, Fiona's sick,"
"Shit," I mumbled.
"Give Fiona the phone,"
"Okay," Tabitha mumbled.
"M-Mum," she lazily stuttered.
"I'm right here, princess," she said as she got in the car. "Drive," she demanded. "Keep talking to me, princess,"
"I don't-I don't feel well, mum..."
"We'll be there soon. You're gonna be okay, I promise," she said. "Joe, drive faster,"
"I'm going as fast as I can!"
"Give me the phone," I said.
"Why?"
"You brought me for a reason, right? Give me the phone,"
"Fine," she sighed.
"Fiona? It's Auntie Jen. I need you to listen to me, okay?"
"Okay..."
"We'll be there in five minutes. Go grab a cool towel, put it on your forehead, and just relax until we get there okay?"
"Okay..."
"See you soon,"
"Bye," she whispered as she hung up.

Joe started driving faster and faster until we pulled up to the apartment building. He sloppily parked in the garage and we made our way up to the apartment.

"Tabitha, open up!" Delilah yelled.
"She's on the couch," Tabitha said.
"Are you okay?" Delilah asked, running over to her sick daughter.
"Move," I said, kneeling down.
"Rude,"
"Yeah, well, do you want me to find out what's wrong with her, or not?"
"Sorry, continue," she rolled her eyes.
"Go grab me a thermometer, please,"
"Okay," she said, walking off.
"Fiona, honey, do me a favor and roll over onto your back,"
"Why?"
"Cause I need to check something,"
"Okay," she mumbled.

She obeyed me and slowly turned over onto her back. She placed her hands on her face, not knowing what to do. I placed my right hand over my left and started pressing around on her stomach. Every time I pressed, Fiona would wince a bit and let out a little whimper. I raised a brow and started checking her pulse; it was normal. After a minute or two, Delilah came back in with a thermometer; I didn't hesitate to take her temperature.

"She has a fever," I said. "Fiona, how long as your stomach been bothering you?"
"A few days..."
"A few days!" Delilah gasped.
"Why didn't you tell your mother you weren't feeling well?" I asked.
"Cause I thought that I'd get better," she pouted.
"You still should've told me," Delilah said.
"So what's wrong with her?" Joe asked.
"It's a stomach bug," I said. "I have to go back to the hospital; while I'm there I'll write out a prescription for her. Follow the directions and she should be fine in a few days. If she's not, call me," I said, standing up. "Charlie! Lyd! Come on, we have to go!" I called. "But first I'm gonna throw up," I mumbled as I headed for the bathroom. "Alright, guys, let's go," I said, walking back into the lounge. "Fiona, before I go, you should know that, ginger ale, orange or apple juice is very good for your stomach. And, for the next few days, only eat things like crackers or soup,"
"Why?"
"Cause these are things you'd be able to stomach without throwing up," I explained. "Try to avoid all dairy products until you're sure you're better. Okay?"
"Okay,"
"Also, stay away from your brother and sister. Last thing we need it them getting sick too,"
"Okay,"
"Alright, bye girlie; you're a trooper," I smiled as I headed for the door.
"Hey," Delilah said.
"Yeah?"
"Thank you,"
"You're welcome," I smiled.
"Can you give these to Winnie?" She asked, handing me a bag.
"What is it?"
"It was my birthday present..."
"Why are you giving it away?"
"Cause I feel bad... Y'know, breaking his ankle and everything,"
"Wait, did he tell you he broke it?"
"Yeah... He also said that he won't be able to walk for like nine months,"
"He's such a fucking drama queen," I scoffed. "He's fine. His knee popped out of the socket, and it's fine. Then, he fractured his ankle,"
"But he said he has metal in his ankle now,"
"Yeah, he has a small plate to keep it from happening again. He'll be up and walking within three months,"
"Really?"
"Yeah, don't listen to him,"
"Oh... Still, give these to him,"
"If you insist," I shrugged. "Bye,"
"Bye,"

We waved to everyone and off we went. The kids and I went to the car and headed over to the hospital to visit Winston. When we got there, the kids ran off to try and find Winston's room. My heels clicked loudly on the ground as I followed the excited children into the hospital room.

"Hi dad!" they cheered as they ran in.
"Hey guys," he smiled. "Where's mum?"
"Right here," I beamed. "So, Winston, may I ask why you told Delilah that you wouldn't be able to walk for nine months?"
"She told you?" he whined.
"Answer me," No response. "I told you, you were fine. Why'd you lie to her?" No response. "Were you just trying to be mean? Because, if so, that is a very rude thing to do,"
"Why are you yelling at me?" he chuckled.
"Because I'm angry and I wanna cry,"
"Why?"
"I don't know," I pouted. "Being pregnant sucks," I complained.
"What's in the bag?" he asked, motioning to the gift in my hand.
"Dil's birthday present," I mumbled. "She wanted you to have it,"
"Why?"
"Cause she feels bad," I said, sitting on the side of the bed.

I handed him the shiny party bag and let him remove the crumpled tissue paper. His eyes immediately widened when he saw what was inside.

"I can't take these from her," he whispered.

He was holding up one, of the many, bomber jackets that were inside the bag. All of Phil's old bomber jackets were in there, except for the red one he wore on his honeymoon; that one will stay with Phil until he dies.

"I can't take these from her," he repeated. "She loved wearing these, growing up. If dad gave them to her, I could never take them," he said, putting them back in the bag. "Please give these back to her, next time you see her,"
"Okay," I smiled.

I set the bag down on the bedside table along with a few of my other belongings. I removed my jacket and set down my purse before straightening out my dress.

"Okay, I have to go do a few things so-"
"What do you have to do?" Winston asked. "It's your day off,"
"Well, if you must know, Fiona is sick so, I have to go fill out a prescription for her. Then, I have to go check on a few patients and fill out some paperwork. I should be back in fifteen to twenty minutes. Okay?"
"Okay,"
"Kids, please behave for your father; I'll be back shortly."

I wandered around the hospital for a bit before I made my way into the attending's lounge. While I was here, I slipped on my coat and pinned on my name tag, before stepping out to go complete my work. I stopped by the nurses station to pick everything up; I returned several minutes later to return the belongings.

"Dr. Howlter," one nurse said.
"Yeah?"
"Are you busy?"
"No, what do you need?"
"I don't need anything but, there's someone on the phone for you,"
"Okay, thank you," I said, pressing the phone to my ear. "Hello?"
"Hi, is this Dr. Jennifer Llyod?"
"No, this is Dr. Jennifer Howlter," I corrected. "How may I help you?"
"I'm Dr. David Williams, of Massachusetts General Hospital,"
"Okay... How may I help you?"
"Well, Dr. Howlter, we've read a lot about you,"
"And?"
"And I'm calling to offer you a job."