Proud of You

YEAR: 2044

[Delilah's POV]

"Mum!" Fiona yelled.
"Yes baby?" I mumbled.

I was straightening my hair and applying my make-up for graduation.

"You're so pretty!"
"Thank you," I smiled. "Where's your father?"
"Getting dressed, I think,"
"Why aren't you dressed?"
"I dunno," she shrugged.
"Go have daddy get you dressed. When he's done, come back to me and I'll do your hair,"
"Okay," she giggled as she ran out.

I cracked a small smile and carried on with my hair and make up.

"Dil!" Joe yelled.
"What!"
"Are you wearing contacts or glasses!"
"Glasses!"
"Stop yelling!" Bear chimed in.
"I'm back, mummy!" Fiona beamed.
"Oh, look how pretty you are," I chuckled. "Okay, stand on your stairs and look in the mirror,"
"Okay," she smiled.
"Do you want ponytail or braids?" I asked as I brushed her hair.
"Braids too hard for you, mummy,"
"Oh? And why's that?"
"Cause my hair's curly, like yours,"
"That it is," I chuckled. "So ponytail?"
"Yes please,"
"Okay," I smiled.

I brushed all of her hair into a high ponytail and tied it with a black hair tie. She looked at herself and continued to smile; I don't think I've ever seen anyone so happy. As she stared, I took a bow Louise had made for me when I was younger, and put it in her hair; her smile only grew.

"You're so pretty," I smiled.
"You too," she giggled as she got off her steps and rushed downstairs.
"You look really pretty," Winston smiled as he walked into the bathroom.
"Thanks," I mumbled.
"You're so lucky,"
"Why?"
"Cause you graduate like a week before me," he smirked.
"Yeah, well, after this I gotta actually head to law school," I sighed.
"Me too," he said. "I'm not even sure I wanna be a lawyer anymore...this is too much work..."
"You do whatever you want," I said.
"Dil! We have to get going!" Dad yelled.
"I'm coming!"

***

"Okay, Fiona, daddy, Auntie Tabs, and I have to go for a bit. Please behave and listen to papa and grandpa. Okay?"
"Okay mummy," she smiled.
"Okay," I smiled back.

Joe and I kissed her head and headed inside so we could line up for graduation. As Joe and I were inside, a familiar face joined my family in the crowd.

"Hello boys," the lady smirked.
"Hello," Fiona waved.
"Don't talk to her," bear mumbled, facing Fiona away from her. "Why are you here?"
"My daughter's graduating. Don't I deserve to be here?"
"She is not your daughter," dad quickly said. "What did I tell you about coming near our kids and Fiona?"
"You said not to,"
"Great, now get lost,"he said.
"No,"
"What was that?"
"Phil, please sit down," bear whispered.
"Not until she leaves,"
"Well, guess what Philly, I'm not going anywhere, so you can go excuse yourself to a carnal impossibility,"
"You're pretty," Fiona said.
"Thank you," she blushed.
"Fiona, stop talking to her," bear said.
"Fine," she huffed. "I'll just talk to Winston,"
"Get lost," he said. "You nearly cost my parents their marriage and-"
"And I saved your sisters life. Okay? You people have no reason to be treating me with this kind of disrespect,"
"Shut up, they're walking," Stefanie said.
"Fiona," dad cheered. "Wanna get on papas shoulders?"
"Yes!" she giggled.
"Okay, please don't touch my hair," bear said as dad set Fiona on his shoulders. "I'm not enjoying this," bear mumbled. "There is a reason I never did this when our kids were little,"
"Why?" dad chuckled. "Is it cause she's touching your neck?"
"May- oh! Fiona, I trusted you!" he cringed as she messed up his hair.
"Hush," Winston said.

Everyone took their seats and the ceremony began. People said their speeches and then people started getting their diplomas. Out of the three of us, Tabitha was the first to go, then me, then Joe; when we went up, my family wouldn't stop cheering. When I was up on stage, collecting my diploma, I saw a familiar brunette woman standing next to Stefanie. My face fell as I walked off and took my seat. When the ceremony was over, Joe and I met up with our families; Tabitha went off to find her mum.

"Hi baby," I smiled as I took her off bears shoulders. "Are you proud of mummy?"
"Yes," she chuckled.
"You get to start school next year. Are you excited?"
"Yeah," she said. "Are you done with school?"
"No baby," I sighed. "I gotta go back for three more years,"
"Why?"
"Cause mummy still has to get her law degree,"
"Oh...is daddy done?"
"No, he still needs his law degree too," I pouted.
"Don't be sad mummy," she chuckled as she playfully hit my lip.
"I'm not sad," I smiled as I lightly tickled her stomach.
"Hello Delilah," Jess said. I looked over to her, then back to Fiona, and just ignored her. "Delilah, I am talking to you,"
"And I am ignoring you. Come on baby, let's go home,"
"Okay mummy,"
"Joe," I tapped his shoulder. "Were going home. Come on,"
"I'm talking to my parents..."
"Fine, then meet us at home,"
"Okay," he gave me a quick kiss. "Bye princess,"
"Bye daddy," she smiled.
"Goodbye Mr. and Mrs. Taylor, it was very nice seeing you again,"
"Goodbye dear," Joe's mother smiled.
"Come on Fiona."

When we got home, Louise had thrown me a little party; not many people showed up. Just my family, Joe's family, Darcy's family, and Louise. They all congratulated me and Joe several tines; a few people actually started planning for Winston and Stefanie's graduation party. At the end of the night, everyone that didn't live here went home and I put Fiona to bed. As I was putting her to bed, Joe started playing on the Xbox; I joined him downstairs shortly after.

"What are you playing?" I mumbled as I fell on the couch.
"Call of Duty. Wanna play?"
"Nah, I'm good. Just, please keep it down so we don't wake Fiona,"
"Yeah, sorry," he said, lowering the volume.
"Are you excited for next month?" I smiled as I rested my head on his lap.
"What's next month?"
"You're kidding me, right?"
"I'm just pulling your leg," he smirked. "Of course I'm excited. I'd still like to know why you're not taking my last name,"
"Cause I was born a Howlter and I'm gonna die a Howlter,"
"You still be a Howlter,"
"No, I'd be a Taylor,"
Fair enough," he chuckled.
"I'm gonna head to bed," I sighed. "Night," I kissed his cheek. "I'm proud of you,"
"I'm proud of you too. I'll be up in a minute. Love you,"
"Love you too."